Need help with RIMS controller setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizgig

Reaction score
I have a Blichmann 120v RIMS rocket, 10 gallon mash tun with/false bottom, a bunch of camlocks and silicon tubing, and a chugger pump.

I want to do step mashing, any recommended setups? Here's what I think I need:

A controller, e.g. Auber SYL-2352
Some sort of SSR as the RIMS is 2000w and most controllers only allow 1200w directly connected
A thermal well with temp sensor and removable cord
An enclosure for the electrical
switches?
A L5-20P outlet for the Blichmann
Regular 3 prong outlet
Wire for wiring it up (gauge?)
A cord to power the whole thing from a 20 amp house outlet.
Sparge arm (I currently batch sparge)

My questions are how does the SSR connect to the outlets and controller and what should I get?

I see a lot of manual switches on people's gear but I'm not sure what they use them for (maybe hard wired setups for the controller, and the pump)? What sort should I get?

Do you use a grant or just restrict the pump flow?

The extend of my electrical knowledge is I can wire up an outlet and follow a simple wiring diagram.

You want to put together something like this from P-J.

P-J 1 element 1 pump 120V.jpg

Lots of different controller design variations here.

Brew on :mug:

That's exactly what I need, but it's missing the temp probe and the plumbing questions. I'm not sure what the alarm disable and buzzer is for, or how the emergency stop works (is it connecting the hot right to ground? Sounds expensive, why not just break the circuit and not send power to the rest of it?), just indicates the heating element is on?

I have a Blichmann 120v RIMS rocket, 10 gallon mash tun with/false bottom, a bunch of camlocks and silicon tubing, and a chugger pump.

I want to do step mashing, any recommended setups? Here's what I think I need:

A controller, e.g. Auber SYL-2352
Some sort of SSR as the RIMS is 2000w and most controllers only allow 1200w directly connected
A thermal well with temp sensor and removable cord
An enclosure for the electrical
switches?
A L5-20P outlet for the Blichmann
Regular 3 prong outlet
Wire for wiring it up (gauge?)
A cord to power the whole thing from a 20 amp house outlet.
Sparge arm (I currently batch sparge)

My questions are how does the SSR connect to the outlets and controller and what should I get?

I see a lot of manual switches on people's gear but I'm not sure what they use them for (maybe hard wired setups for the controller, and the pump)? What sort should I get?

Do you use a grant or just restrict the pump flow?

The extend of my electrical knowledge is I can wire up an outlet and follow a simple wiring diagram.

Controller - MyPin TD4 With SSR
Temp Sensor - PT100
Enclosure - NEMA1

If your "on the cheap" you dont need switches, alarms, etc. You do need to plug this into a some sort of GFCI protection though. You can unplug pumps when you want to turn them off. I use a ball valve on the outlet of the pump to regulate flow.

And here's how I would hook it up. Sorry for the redneck cad... This circuit is for the temperature control only.

Scan_Pic0004.jpg

I just got to thinking - that enclosure might not be deep enough to mount the PID in the front - find another enclosure or mount it on the side.

Here is an example of a super simple 120v controller, comes with an on/off switch too
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=379938

[EDIT]
@fizgig, just noticed that you mentioned your element is 2000w, make sure your components are rated for at least 20amps. In the example I linked to above you would need to swap out the 15amp combo switch receptacle for 20 amp components.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it. And 10-4 about the amperage, I've already run into that, most of the controllers are 1200w/15amp and I have to use the ssr because of it.

Back