Dry Hop = No Flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcadieux

Reaction score
So I brewed a 5g Burton Pale Ale a few weeks back. After 3weeks I dry hopped it with 0.95oz and let it sit for 7days. I then cold crashed it (no gelatin) innmy fridge for another 7days before kegging.

Once it was carbed I tasted it and to my dismay, it kinda tasted of nothing, like a very Pale APA. So....I'm wondering if I can dry hop it again while in the keg. Well, obviously I can but should I and if so how? I assume I could just throw an ounce into a muslin bag and hang it with some floss or something for like 3days?

Note: I just discovered that I have no EKG left so I'm looking for suggestions on dry hopping this baby!!

Dry hop gives aroma, not flavor. flavor hopping must be done in the kettle. That said, since our senses of smell & taste are linked, some do thing sroma hopping gives more flavor. In reality, dry hopping just rounds out the sensation.

What hop variety were they? 1 oz should be detectable, mostly aroma, some flavor.
For better, longer lasting flavor, use a long hopstand (20-60 mins) between 170-190F while stirring or recirculating/whirlpooling.

Better to cold crash first, then dry hop, so the hop oils don't crash out with the yeast.

If you keg, dry hopping in keg is the easiest. Use a very fine weave (fabric) muslin bag, so you won't end up with hop fibers in your beer. Weigh it down with a SS nut or other fitting or some glass marbles and suspend about half way down with a piece of dental floss. Agitation and room temps help to extract more oils than sitting still in a fridge.

I got a pair of nylon 2 gallon, fine mesh paint strainer bags with elastic tops for a few bucks at Lowe's. They might be a tad big for a keg, but would allow for plenty of flow through?

Dry hop gives aroma, not flavor. flavor hopping must be done in the kettle. That said, since our senses of smell & taste are linked, some do thing sroma hopping gives more flavor. In reality, dry hopping just rounds out the sensation.
That whole line of thinking doesn't make any sense. The vast majority of odorants are also tastants. They are both chemoreceptors. I definitely can perceive a distinct dry hop flavor in dry hopped beers.

Well, but when you dryhop, you give aromas related to hop (and perceived in mouth). As flavor, dryhop can just give grassy notes.
When you do high adjunct of hop at twenty minutes, hop notes stay in the flavour and you cannot have the same result with dryhop.

It's because or sinuses are connected to holes in the back of the roof of the mouth. That's how smell & taste are linked. Besides the fact that hops have to be boiled to give flavor as well as bittering. And to a lesser extent, aroma. Dry hopping gives more aroma than late boil additions of, say, 3-5 minutes.

Well, but when you dryhop, you give aromas related to hop (and perceived in mouth). As flavor, dryhop can just give grassy notes.
When you do high adjunct of hop at twenty minutes, hop notes stay in the flavour and you cannot have the same result with dryhop.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here.

It's because or sinuses are connected to holes in the back of the roof of the mouth. That's how smell & taste are linked. Besides the fact that hops have to be boiled to give flavor as well as bittering. And to a lesser extent, aroma. Dry hopping gives more aroma than late boil additions of, say, 3-5 minutes.

There is no direct sensory link between olfaction and gustation. The information from the senses isn't even transmitted to the brain on the same cranial nerve. It does make sense that the combination of the two when processed and perceived affect each other. (But that is true of every perception). I just don't at all believe that you can leech a massive variety of compounds from something as naturally flavorful as a hop and it doesn't affect flavor. This sounds like a bunch of other ridiculous homebrew myths I've heard over the years. When you think about it from a biological chemoreceptive sense it is just illogical. Dry hopping might have a much greater effect on aroma but to say that it has no noticeable effect on taste is crazy to me.

In other words, you smell & taste the same things, but with slightly different nuances. To say the two aren't connected is ludicrous to me. But you basically get aroma from dry hopping, flavor from late boil additions. Besides, why are the sinuses linked to to roof of the mouth?

why are the sinuses linked to to roof of the mouth?

They aren't.

Other than that though I agree with you @Unionrdr . There is a massive interplay between smell and taste. If you lose your sense of smell (folks can suffer this in a variety of ways ) your sense of taste is massively affected.

Missing hop aroma will have a huge bearing on how we perceive the flavor of a hop-forward beer.

Well,at least that we can agree upon. gotta go back & study that biology stuff again. Dammit, I hate it when this happens. I know I'm getting old, but damn. Even though smell & taste may run through separate nerves, they're still linked perceptually.

Obviously having a beer right now would be a good study in the objective.

I'm having one of my dry whiskely stouts atm...smell beery, roasty with a bit of oak/bourbon. Tastes like roasty coffee in a stout. Oak & bourbon seems to vary bottle to bottle.

Well,at least that we can agree upon. gotta go back & study that biology stuff again. Dammit, I hate it when this happens. I know I'm getting old, but damn. Even though smell & taste may run through separate nerves, they're still linked perceptually.

As I stated. I do think they are linked perceptually but not in terms of sensation. I do think dry hopping has a more powerful effect on aroma but I also believe it has an effect on the gustatory response.

Why do I feel like I'm in the middle of a debate?...more coffee...hell, it's Christmas time, I ain't hacked, no, not me...:tank:

Back