"CHEAP" large drip tray.... - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > "CHEAP" large drip tray....

Old 02-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
splat

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer
I did the very same thing. I bought this 40" SS speed rail for $11.95. It has a 9 inch wide pocket and is ~6 inches deep. I also had to use silicone along the insde as it is only tack welded. No problem really.

I line the bottom with paper towels to keep cleanup easy peezy.

I am waiting for the part to arrive to expand from the 4 faucets shown to the 6 that have always been planned on (note 6 label frames and only 4 faucets).

Looks like I need to fix one of my frames tho'. A little off "kilter", funny it doesn;t look that bad when standing in fron of the keezer.
Very nice, just exactly what I am doing, only Im using magnets to hold it on the fridge for easy cleaning... Wish I would have posted earlier and you guys could have helped ME out, because I was stressing over $150 bucks for a drip tray.. Thanks.
Keg #1- Edworts Pale Ale
Keg #2- Empty :(
Keg #3- Empty :(
Keg #4- Empty
Bottled- Canadian Draft
Bottled- Honey Wheat Ale
Bottled- Octoberfest lager
Next up- Another coopers Cervesa kit for the ladies.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7458 Times on 6112 Posts

No need to stress. I too did not see a point in paying the premiums asked for real drip trays. My original option before this finding was a stainless steel drywall compound mud pan from Lowes for 4 bucks. Functional, but not nearly as pretty, IMO.

I had actually planned on building a simple collar, typical of every collar you see posted in threads, and attaching my speed rail with magnets as well. But after doing a test run with it, I found the speed rail to be too heavy alone for the magnets, not to mention any possible disasters trying to set a glass in there.

I thought about using an adhesive but decided against that as I didn't want it permanantly affixed to the keezer in case it gets hit by the car.

So, I modified my collar design to have an apron to which I could screw the speed rail into as designed. The bottle of La Fin Du Monde at frame right is actually a cigarette butt disposal vessel.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #13
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Erie, PA
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
My solution: $15 tray plus some angle brackets and epoxy.
Bobby, will this set up support a decent size mug or 2 while filling? (or do you have to hold it?)

Old 03-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1695 Times on 1089 Posts

I've put 4 pounds of scuba weights on it to test it and it's good to go. Don't forget to lightly scuff the finish on the epoxied surfaces so it holds better.

Since I did this project, I still haven't found myself resting the glasses on the tray and have a hard time figuring out why you'd do it. Maybe if your lines aren't balanced and you need to let the foam subside before topping off?

I think good pour technique requires that you hold the glass, but I have seen bartenders pour beer like it was diet coke at the drive thru...

Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #15
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Erie, PA
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

So you've epoxied the brackets to the tray? or to the refer? or both?

Did you use SS brackets? If so, what source?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #16
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Erie, PA
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Since I did this project, I still haven't found myself resting the glasses on the tray and have a hard time figuring out why you'd do it. Maybe if your lines aren't balanced and you need to let the foam subside before topping off?
I guess my thought was to be able to fill a big glass without having to hold it for the entire pour, but I see your point about the 'coke machine technique'

Old 03-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #17
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Yeah, that $15 tray from barproducts was surely a find. kegconnection wanted $40 for the same one, so I held off. Glad I did! Just found that tray yesterday and ordered it.
I just ordered two.

One for the keezer, one for the two-tapper up stairs.

Man I love this forum...

THanks for the info guys...

Old 03-05-2008, 04:02 AM   #18
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1695 Times on 1089 Posts

These angle brackets were just cheapy ones in the hardware section of Lowes. I was looking for some nicer looking shelf brackets, but they had nothing meant for a 4" shelf so I got these.

I epoxied to the freezer, the used velcro to hold the tray on for taking it to the sink for cleaning. The insert can go in the dishwasher I suppose.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #19
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Erie, PA
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for the info

Old 12-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #20
BlackHillsBrewing
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Deadwood, SD, South Dakota
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great Shot! Just ordered it myself...! Great Find! I always have a bucket undermine and that has been a mess!... Now I have to paint my whole frig, cause it' got rusty... ps.. it's in my garage., Thanks again!