After bottling, still growing a little SCOBY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
There is a small SCOBY in my bottled kombucha. I bottle when it taste right and 2.8-3.2 ph. I leave the bottles on the counter a couple days to help with a little carbination, then put them in the fridge. All are growing a see through mother. The only thing I add is about 4 blueberries. Is there any way to stop this from happening???

I get little baby scobys in all of my bottles. It just means the little bugs are still active, which is good.

I usually just drink them in the first sip.

I just pour the first little bit (including the SCOBY) down the drain and then drink the rest. I don't think there's any harm in drinking the SCOBY, but personally I don't like the texture of it...

I like to be able to offer my KT to people who might be interested in trying it.

Those people may not be used to the idea of gulping down a baby scoby.

I haven't been brewing KT lately so I haven't been able to try this idea out but I wonder if this will prevent it from happening:

scoby requires oxygen to form
KT is often slightly fizz when being bottled

If you flip a swing top lid to closed but dont clamp down, so that pressure can escape, then you lightly shake your bottle of kombucha immediately after bottling, the releases CO2 should displace the small amount of O2 remaining in the headspace. After you do that you could clamp down and there should be much less 02 remaining in the bottle.

I imagine that would prevent the miniscoby from forming

I tried this and it didn't work. And I still got a miniscoby.
But I found that if I poured from the bottle into a pint glass the scoby tended to stick to the inside of the bottle and didn't make it into my glass, so problem solved, sortof.

Back