Cool Homebrew Gadget? - Maybe - You Decide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can it handle grain running through it? Or are you thinking BIAB? I would think if BIAB you wouldn't get even beating around/through the bag but maybe with some external occasional bag movement?

I don't know....just saw it on slickdeals and thought about homebrewing...

I use one with biab. Holds mash temp like a champ for small batches 1-2 gals. For bigger batches I put the burner on super low to help it maintain temp more precisely.

It's easy to take apart and clean, so you could probly use without a bag I guess

It's also ideal for whirlpooling, as the impeller is always going and circulating the wort, even when it's not heating. So I plop it back in after flameout, set the temp to 160 and it circulates wort as it cools from boil/212F down to my set temp.

Sometimes my bag will get caught in the impeller intake, so I just put my spoon in front of it. But the design wouldn't allow for it to rip your bag or anything like that. And it sounds an alarm and shuts down, so you'll know if it happens.

I use one with biab. Holds mash temp like a champ for small batches 1-2 gals. For bigger batches I put the burner on super low to help it maintain temp more precisely.

It's easy to take apart and clean, so you could probly use without a bag I guess

It's also ideal for whirlpooling, as the impeller is always going and circulating the wort, even when it's not heating. So I plop it back in after flameout, set the temp to 160 and it circulates wort as it cools from boil/212F down to my set temp.

Sometimes my bag will get caught in the impeller intake, so I just put my spoon in front of it. But the design wouldn't allow for it to rip your bag or anything like that. And it sounds an alarm and shuts down, so you'll know if it happens.

I've been wanting to build something very like this but using a reverse flow so the wort is expelled at the bottom, and using an impeller designed specifically to handle wort with grain in it. It's a perfect "in bag circulator" concept in my opinion. I'm the kind of guy that takes things apart and redesigns them to work they way I think they should...... I suspect that the rotation of the impeller could be reversed if one was clever, also that the power to the heating element could be used to drive a relay to operate a hot plate in addition to it's internal heater. It's very close to what I want.

H.W.

I have a Sous Vide heater and never considered using it in home brewing. Mine limits the vol of water it can heat.

Back