Notty yeast temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishheadmi

Reaction score
I have a batch of English brown ale fermenting with Notty...pitched about 72 hours ago, seems to be chugging along nicely, with temp held at 61. Most of what i read recommends keeping the Notty quite cool, like high 50's to low 60's. I've read about off flavors much over 64 or 65.

I'd like to brew another batch tonight or tomorrow using S-04 yeast, which likes a bit warmer temps from what I understand.

Just wondering, now that the Notty's had a few days to get rolling, would I be safe bumping the temp up to say 65 or 66 to pop in a batch with the S-04 without having to worry about off flavors from the Notty?

My chest freezer fermentation chamber can only hold two five gallon batches at once...I'd like to bump the temp up a few degrees tonight or tomorrow and add the second batch into the freezer. After a few more days, remove the Notty brown ale to a relatively temp stable area of my basement (still mid 60's) and put another batch into the freezer....continuing this cycle for 6-7 batches (I have a few ingredient kits to get caught up with, then I'll likely only brew once or twice a week, so the fermentation chamber space won't be such an issue). Does this seem like a reasonable plan, or am I changing temps and moving beer too much?

I just did a 1.050 blonde that came down to 1.010 in 3 days using Nottingham yeast held at 64. Bulk of the fermentation is already done so it'd be safe bringing it up, would also allow it to clean itself up a bit too.

Edit: No discernible off-flavors detected. Have done the same one but at 68 again without off-flavors.

should be fine to bump it to mid 60s after the first few days of fermentation.

for knotty I start out at 59 to 60 for 3 days of activity then bump it up to 64 to 65 then after 3 more days raise to 68 to 70 then room temp for 3 more so I think you'll be fine, the 04 might need a shake or stir after 5 days to keep it active

That is my exact profile for Notty,also Kolsch2565 works best this way and I can split batches and have the Notty one on tap while the kolsch lagers.

Off flavors from high fermentation temperatures occur during the lag and explosive growth phases of yeast development. It's not as much a concern during the attenuative phase (>72 hours). Unless ambient temperatures exceed yeast autolysis thresholds (>95F), there's nothing to worry about removing it from temp control.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Can starting at too low of a temp give off flavors as well, or just cause a lag in fermentation?

I have used Notty down in the 50s. It can handle cool temperatures just fine, although sometimes but not always it throws a slight peach flavor, which I believe comes from stressing it out at the cool temperatures. I could be wrong though, maybe it just tastes slightly peachy no matter what temperature it is used. But it certainly can handle the 50s no problem.

Latest posts

Back