What if I run outta gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjolin01

Reaction score
If I am using a burner connected to a propane tank and I run out of gas during a boil (using extracts) would I be able to quickly take indoor and put on stove and bring back to boil to finish off?

I have a pregnant wife and the smell of the brew does not agree with her. I like to err on side of caution and be ready in case the gas runs out.

Get another tank. You will run out at the most inopportune time.... But, you can take it inside if your stove is capable of boiling the batch size. I have even gone to get a new tank and resumed when I got more. I have a couple of gas stations that are only a couple minutes away though. Maybe 10 minutes to get going again.

If I am using a burner connected to a propane tank and I run out of gas during a boil (using extracts) would I be able to quickly take indoor and put on stove and bring back to boil to finish off?

No problem.
Carrying 6 gallons of boiling wort is:
1 - easy
2 - fun
3 - risk free

At worst - you trip, end up scalding yourself, and go to the emergency room. You can get skin grafts and will be back to normal in months.
Sounds like a good idea!
(spilling it in the house is a distant second)
(and having your stove not strong enough to maintain a boil on 6 gallons is another fun thing that can happen)

OR

Do the stupid wasteful thing I did.
I have a second tank of propane. (I wasted $27)
When the first runs out I refill it.
I've only run out of gas on my main tank a few times, then I swap in the second. 5 minute delay.

No skin grafts, no ER, just beer.

look at it this way. a second tank is like $50 plus or minus a little. Doing something that you know will piss off the wife that can be avoided for less than one hundred bucks is definitely worth it

Buy the extra can of gas

My wife gets pissed when she goes out to the grill on the back deck and I have all 3 gas cans in the garage, 2 of them empty.
I'd get a spare and keep it a secret...

Either that or take it to get filled before brew day. If you can find somewhere that fills propane, they can top you up. Cheaper than the exchange here as well.

But 2 tanks are really nice to have.

I have a pregnant wife and the smell of the brew does not agree with her. I like to err on side of caution and be ready in case the gas runs out.

to add to reasons why this is a bad idea. I irreparably damaged my stove while brewing beer on it. Cost me about $400 out of my security deposit. If only I had just not been cheap and spent $200 on a burner and propane tank in the first place.

You must be running really low on gas if this is going to be a problem. If you think you're going to run out of gas then just fill your current one up. I hate to think of carrying near boiling wort at all - let alone having to carry it inside and somehow lug it up on to the stove without spilling it on you or a pet or family member.

You can always weigh your tank first, subtract the weight of the tank itself and you will see how much propane is left in there. You should be able to figure out roughly how many #'s of propane you use in a brew session if you weigh the tank before and after. Based on the weight of the propane in the tank you should be able to roughly figure out if you have enough for the brew day. Thats what I did before I went electric.

I stopped using propane because of the "pane" of always refilling tanks and having backups... I converted my burners to natural gas and run a flex hose from the back of the house. A ball valve and a quick disconnect makes it super convenient. don't get me wrong, I still have a spare burner and propane tank on standby just incase the zombies kill my natural gas supply.

I have 3 tanks and still ran out yesterday. I got lazy and forgot to fill the 2 empties before getting started. Lowes right around the corner so was back to brewing in about 15 minutes after switching one out.

Not to pile on, but two tanks solves this issue.

Also, start every brew day with at least one full tank, but use up whatever partial tank you have first, even if that means removing it from your propane grill.

and another vote for a second tank.
I have three and it seems like at least one is always empty.
One is hooked to my grill, which leaves one for the burner. At least I can take the grill one if need be.
Anyways, if a backup tank is out of the question, at least double check how much gas you have before beginning the brew day.
At one point, I was heating my strike and sparge water inside on the stove (it was strong enough for that) and bringing the kettle outside for the main boil (stove wasn;t strong enough for 6.5 - 7 gallons to a boil.)
That saved a lot of worry on the tank, though even so I ran out of gas halfway through a 90 minute boil. Had to run out and buy a second tank. I'll never go less than what I have now again.

i have 3 tanks. 1 for my brewery, 1 for my gas grill, and 1 for my smoker. i rarely use the smoker or grill, so that means my brewery is safe

Stole a tank from our patio heater we never use, so two tanks for me. Swapped tanks in the last ten minutes of boil on my last batch... Should refill it before my next, but I might tempt fate.

Latest posts

Back