Purged keg of oxy, let sit for 2wks. Still force carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadGuyNick

Reaction score
I kegged my beer 2 weeks ago, purged oxygen at about 10psi, and let sit until now, when I've got room in my kegerator.

Do I still need to let it sit at 30psi for 24hrs, then back off to serving psi?

You can carb it any way you like, burst carb with higher pressure like you describe, set and forget for a couple wks, or naturally carb with sugar, but you have to do something.

I kegged my beer 2 weeks ago, purged oxygen at about 10psi, and let sit until now, when I've got room in my kegerator.

Do I still need to let it sit at 30psi for 24hrs, then back off to serving psi?

No. You can set it at 12 psi or whatever your pressure is, and let it sit a couple of weeks.

Or, you can set it at 30 psi for 24-36 hours, and then purge and set it at 12 psi (or again, thereabouts) and it'll be ready in a few days.

Either way, you have to force carb the beer or drink it flat if you didn't add priming sugar and carb it up.

Awesome, thanks everyone! I'll burst carb overnight, then back it off. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to mess anything up with the little bit of CO2 I had in there from purging.

Awesome, thanks everyone! I'll burst carb overnight, then back it off. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to mess anything up with the little bit of CO2 I had in there from purging.

Oh, no, you want to purge it! It's long gone now, absorbed by the beer, but it's not enough to carb it up so you've done fine so far and just need to carb it up.

Back