Water profile help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncoutroulis

Reaction score
Hello,

I've only brewed 2 batches, but both seem to have a slight off taste...
Bitter, but not the "good" hoppy kind of bitter—almost "dirty" in a way, if that makes sense.

I know it could be a number of things causing this, and I'm not going to post the recipes and details of each brew, but i'm more curious if the tap water could be causing this. I did some looking and found the water profile for my town on line, and have attached it. I've no idea what it means, but hoping someone here can tell me if these numbers are "good" or if I might want to try spring water for my 3rd brew.

thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 9.18.35 AM.jpg

Someone I'm sure will comment on your report but I don't see mineral levels of the water so not sure it will be much good for determining how brewing appropriate the water is.

**Also there is a brew science forum where this post is probably a better fit.

That's a health/safety report and does not have the information you need for brewing.

I'm about to do the same research. Can someone point out what information we DO need so I can make sure I find the correct water report?

Here is a list of the mineral levels your water analysis needs to include.

Sodium, Na
Potassium, K
Calcium, Ca
Magnesium, Mg
Total Hardness, CaCO3
Sulfate, SO4-
Chloride, Cl
Carbonate, CO3
Bicarbonate, HCO3
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3

thanks for the replies,

to be on the "safe side", would it be best to use Poland Spring water for the next brew?

thanks

nc, there is copious information about brewing water right here at HBT in the Brew Science section including a sticky on water chemistry, links to calculators and endless posts with answers on virtually all water questions. If you have not seen it yet, it's a must.

Back