XXX Vegan ****** Cookies - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > XXX Vegan ****** Cookies

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
g_rath
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Maine, Portland and Beyond.
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.n.budz
I have a couple vegan friends and their biggest problem with eating out isn't finding a dish that has no animal products in it, it's finding a restaurant that has a vegan friendly kitchen, i.e, separate pots, pans, utensils that are never used for non-vegan food.
Ok now that is taking it to the unnecessary extreme. And they are just making it hard or them selves and being a pain in the ass for every one else. What exactly do they think is going to transfer over to there food? They know utensils get washed or at the very least rinsed. You can’t have flavors crossing dishes anyway.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you have touched a nerve with this kind of food pickiness. And I must state that I have no problem with vegetarians my SWMBO is one, and I cook for her all the time.

Planed: more cider.
Primary: empty
Secondary:Dry hopped amber ale, Does Equis clone.
Keged:Pumpkin spice, wizen.
Bottled: Hard cider, Oaked bourbon vanilla cider, Vanilla Porter.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_rath
Ok now that is taking it to the unnecessary extreme. And they are just making it hard or them selves and being a pain in the ass for every one else. What exactly do they think is going to transfer over to there food? They know utensils get washed or at the very least rinsed. You can’t have flavors crossing dishes anyway.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you have touched a nerve with this kind of food pickiness. And I must state that I have no problem with vegetarians my SWMBO is one, and I cook for her all the time.
You're preaching to the choir there reverend... I won't go out to dinner with them anymore, it's just too much of a PITA and they make so many demands of the kitchen staff I was always afraid my food would get spit in. But, as they have explained to me, it's no different from adhering to a strict Kosher diet when it comes to preperation. And, vegetarian and vegan are definitely not the same.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #13
g_rath
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Maine, Portland and Beyond.
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

At least kosher has a religious meaning behind it. What does that have, the "I want to be special by being a PITA" effect?
If there is a vegan out there that can explain this to me/us please do. I really do want to know if there is a logical reason for it. “I just don’t want it to touch my stuff” doesn’t cut it.

Planed: more cider.
Primary: empty
Secondary:Dry hopped amber ale, Does Equis clone.
Keged:Pumpkin spice, wizen.
Bottled: Hard cider, Oaked bourbon vanilla cider, Vanilla Porter.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #14
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007

Quote:
At least kosher has a religious meaning behind it. What does that have, the "I want to be special by being a PITA" effect?
If there is a vegan out there that can explain this to me/us please do. I really do want to know if there is a logical reason for it. “I just don’t want it to touch my stuff” doesn’t cut it.
Normally I'm the last person to defend vegans, but since the ones in question are very good friends of mine I guess I'll pass along the info I have.

Most vegans are this way due to moral objections to animals being harmed in any way, shape, or form. To them it might as well be religious. An analogy that my friends used was "Using the same knife that just cut up meat to cut our vegetables is no different to us than having our food prepared with a murder weapon."

Now, I'm going to cook up a nice rare steak...

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #15
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
What does that have, the "I want to be special by being a PITA" effect?
Wait?? If vegans are pita's then that's meat because there's meat in vegan.

Soylent Green is People!
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #16
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 337 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.n.budz
An analogy that my friends used was "Using the same knife that just cut up meat to cut our vegetables is no different to us than having our food prepared with a murder weapon."
Yes, but what do they have to say about the screams from the vegetables that are yanked from their homes, thrown on a truck with others, only to be hosed down with cold water before being chopped, sliced, pureed, and dropped in boiling water only to be consumed by omnivores.

That sounds pretty immoral to me.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #17
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Yes, but what do they have to say about the screams from the vegetables that are yanked from their homes, thrown on a truck with others, only to be hosed down with cold water before being chopped, sliced, pureed, and dropped in boiling water only to be consumed by omnivores.

That sounds pretty immoral to me.
I've asked them that before and they always say "plants can't feel pain"

Personally, I'm not buying it...

Old 02-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #18
Soulive

Recipes 

Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

My main reason for giving up meat was the animals' living conditions. Morals aside, its just plain disgusting. I'm eating chicken now though, more out of necessity...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #19
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts

This may sound a bit strange, but hear me out. I put vegans and gay people in the same category. I DON'T CARE!

You can be a vegan or a gay person all you want. I just don't want to hear about it. I'm not likely to understand your logic, I'm not going to buy into your "statement," and/or I'm not willing to provide an audience to your little attention getting scheme. I don't go around preaching about my hetero-ism or my omnivorous diet, so why should I listen to blatherings about your preferences?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #20
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
This may sound a bit strange, but hear me out. I put vegans and gay people in the same category. I DON'T CARE!
Uhh Yuri, I'm pretty sure most gay people love the meat...

Closed Thread