Have some leftovers, what to brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garguy

Reaction score
I got a NB Irish Red Ale with some of my gear and don't really plan on brewing it because I won't drink 5 gallons of an Irish Red, so... I was thinking I would scavenge the LME and maybe the hops and use them to make an IPA.

I wan't to make a fruity/citrusy/grapefruity big hoppy IPA.

So, the LME I have is 6 lbs of Maillard Malts Gold Malt Syrup

Now, is where I need your help.. I would like to steep some specialty grains but do not know the right direction to go. Also, I do not know whether I should also add some dry malt extract in the boil. Also, debating on a turbinado addition to up the OG

I plan on a 60 minute boil with the following hop additions

60 - 1oz Magnum
30 - 1 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Citra
15 - 1 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Citra
5 - 1 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Citra
Flameout - 2 oz Amarillo

Dry Hop - 2 oz Amarillo

Please critique as this will be my first time to go outside of a boxed kit, thanks!

Forgot, it also came with 1 oz of Willamette and 1 oz of US Goldings... though I am not sure they will quite fit what I am trying to do.

I would move the 30min additions to flameout and do a long hop stand. 30 min additions are a total waste Imo. You're better off bumping your 60min a bit and saving the rest for a hop stand. This is the best way to get a great hop character at a home brew level

I wouldn't use will ammeter or Syrian in an iPa. It would just muddle the hop character

Add 1 lb of table sugar to offset some of the sweetness of the extract, and steep a half lb oflight crystal (C20 or C40).

That should get you to about 1.052 in 5 gallons.

Move the 30 minute addition to the end and do a 30 to 60 minute hopstand at flameout.

If you want to up the OG more, you really should use extract. Sugar is fine, if not abused.

Add 1 lb of table sugar to offset some of the sweetness of the extract, and steep a half lb oflight crystal (C20 or C40).

That should get you to about 1.052 in 5 gallons.

Move the 30 minute addition to the end and do a 30 to 60 minute hopstand at flameout.

If you want to up the OG more, you really should use extract. Sugar is fine, if not abused.

Adding 1 lb of sugar will offset sweetness?

If I wanted to up the OG, could I do a longer/bigger grain steep?

What if i did a partial mash (my first) and steeped 4-6 lb of grain in 3 gallons and sparged with another 2.5-3 gallons, then added 3 lbs LME at first boil and the other 3 lbs toward the end of the boil along with the sugar?

Then, if I am assuming correctly, for a 5 gal batch I would not have to add any water to fill up the carboy?

Back