Bucket or carboy primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
What do you use and prefer. Bucket primary and if so loose fitting lid or tight lid with airlock or a glass carboy for primary?

I prefer the bucket my self, but I use the 7.9 gallon brewcraft buckets. They have better sealing and easier to clean lids. Plus I don't like moving a full glass carboy.

7.5 gallon buckets.My carboys are collecting dust in the basement.Carboys are are heavy slippery when wet and a royal PITA to clean.

Buckets here as well. I stocked up on carboys in my first couple years of brewing. They only get used for long term aging now.

Buckets for me personally. They actually fit in my ferm chamber. I have 3 carboys I don't use at the moment. They are waiting for me to have the room to do a sour or three.

6.5 gallon BSG bucket or 6 gallon PET carboy. Started with glass but cracked while cleaning and I decided to avoid the inevitable.

I have a carboy and haven't used it recently. Bucket has a handle, it blocks sunlight, has more headspace for my 5 gallon batches. The only downside is the visibility to see the amount and color of trub and the surface.

Hmm looks like im odd man out on this. I have completely given up on buckets as I get off flavors only after a couple batches. To me it not worth the risk. So im in glass all the time.
Would like to know if im doing something wrong as I am super careful and clean.

Glass carboys with brew hauler, I like being able to see the yeasties dine. I hate the PET carboys, they crack and are a PITA to clean, if you can get them clean.

Hmm looks like im odd man out on this. I have completely given up on buckets as I get off flavors only after a couple batches. To me it not worth the risk. So im in glass all the time.
Would like to know if im doing something wrong as I am super careful and clean.

I get my buckets from the local bakery, they have lots of them, usually filled with donut glazing, molasses, or corn syrup. They smell amazing, but after cleaning the smell is basically gone. If anything, they smell like sweet wort. I never get the buckets that were used for savory stuff like herbs or spices, only the sweet ingredients. They are food grade, only used once, and wash out super clean. I use a cleaner from the brew store, or else OxyClean, and then I sanitize with Star-San on brew day. The insides are smooth as silk, I don't use any abrasive pads when I clean them. I never use buckets from Home Depot, only food grade white buckets from the bakeries these days. I have paid anywhere from free to $3. After about 5-6 batches, they end up being used to store my stuff, or I use them in the garden, and they end up in the recycling bin.

Primary in buckets only, I like the vintners best 7.9 gallon bucket, great lid with rubber seal, but I have no problem using the brewers best buckets when the other one is in use.

Back