Can I roast some Maris Otter into Crystal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, gang. Dumb question here: I have some Maris Otter, is it possible to heat it in my oven and convert it to Crystal? (ideally 120, as that's what I need for my recipe?)

Boring story short, I flubbed my order for grain, and as a result I won't get my crystal malt until Monday. Related fact: my vacation is almost over and I really wanted to brew!

I roasted my own from 2 row. Just spritz with water, spread as thinly as you can. I think I went 300 for 15 to 20 minutes. I'd guess that gave me about 60L.

Oh and he recommends aging them in a paper sack prior to use. I didn't, and my beer may have suffered...I drank it though.

It's a pretty normal Ordinary Bitter. It'd still be quite drinkable sans crystal, but I've already made a couple adjustments to the recipe this time around: if I tinker with it more I won't learn much from it. The recipe is:

Malts:
6lbs 6.4oz Maris Otter
3.2oz Biscuit Malt
2.9oz Crystal 120L

Hops:
Fuggle 0.75oz 60min
Fuggle 0.50oz 30min
Golding 1.00oz 15min
Golding 1.00oz flameout

YEAST:
Safale S-04

Mash at 154deg for 75 minutes.

With that recipe, the crystal and biscuit is not much of a factor. If you are shooting for an authentic English bitter, most didn't use Crystal Malts. If you are just looking for a bit of color there are a lot of things you could sub.

Check out some of Ron Pattinson's recipes at barclayperkins.blogspot.com

He bases his recipes on real brewery logs - I love the 1945 Tetley's Mild. There is also a 1945 Tetley's Bitter recipe and some newer ones as well.

Back