Lager Octoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombdog

Reaction score
I'm doing an Octoberfest now. Fermentation is done and it's in secondary at 50 degrees. Beer is looking very good with nice color and clarity. I plan on lagering for a few more weeks so my question is should on lager in the carboy or in the keg under pressure carbonating?

The more you lager now, the less sediment you will have to push out through the first few pours in the keg. But regardless, the beer will probably turn out the same, since it will lager while in the keggerator.

You would be fine going either way. One thing you may want to do is drop the temp down to the mid to low 30s at a true lager temp.

I always lager in the keg. Its just a lot easier and I get to omit the step of sanitizing and racking to a secondary. And I get to sample the beer easier as its lagering in the keg. Once it's lagered for enough time I just bump it up to serving temps and I'm good to go.

+1. After fermentation is done I always rack to a keg and under pressure for the lagering time. Slowly drop the temp down to 32 for a month or two. Always at least a month. A little late, but I just kegged an Oktoberfest last week. It will be great right at the beginning of October.

What temperature are you lagering at? I like to lager at near freezing, for a longer period of time, for the cleanest and crispest finish to the lager. I generally hold it at 34 degrees, and keep it there for about a week for every 8-10 points of OG. So, for a 1.064 OG lager, I'd lager near freezing for 6-8 weeks if possible.

Lagering in a regular refrigerator. Not sure if the temp will get that low. Just set it at 33 degrees so we will see.

Ok so secondary question- once it's lagering in the keg- do you pressurize it to carbonation (ie 13-15psi) or just fill it with CO2, purge out the O2, and leave it disconnected for a while. Does it matter?

Back