Water Test - Ward Labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For the fun of it, decided to get a Brewer's Test (W-5A) done of my water from Ward Laboratories, Inc. I'm wondering if I should do anything to my water prior to brewing to improve in this area. First thought was to attach a filter cartridge to my brew stand. But I'm completely green in this area. Any thoughts appreciated from you guys based on the attached results. Thanks!

water_results.gif

You have a high bicarbonate level. Something has to be done to lower the alkalinity. Either boiling and decanting off the precipitate, lime softening, or using RO water to dilute it.

My bicarbonate is about the same as yours, and the only beer I make well with 100% tap water is my oatmeal stout. I installed an RO system for my other beers.

High alkalinity and chloride. You can brew with this water as long as you neutralize the alkalinity, but it may be overmineralized for lighter, delicate styles.

I've been brewing with this water for 4 years. Think a simple carbon filter will get me "better" water?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-3-4-in-Inlet-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System-GXWH04F/100471282

No. The bicarbonate is too high, as is the chloride.

You can dilute 50% with distilled (or RO water), and that's probably the best bet.

If your beers taste great with that water, then of course it's ok. But I suspect that light colored beers have some flavor issues.

Activated carbon does not remove the ions that trouble your brewing water. You would have to resort to RO filtration to remove those ions. Activated carbon can remove chlorine and chloramines, but it does not remove chloride.

You can dilute 50% with distilled (or RO water), and that's probably the best bet.

If your beers taste great with that water, then of course it's ok. But I suspect that light colored beers have some flavor issues.

What kind of flavor issues? What would they taste like?

Activated carbon does not remove the ions that trouble your brewing water. You would have to resort to RO filtration to remove those ions. Activated carbon can remove chlorine and chloramines, but it does not remove chloride.

I was reading mabrungard's Bru'n Water page, and it talks about reducing alkanility by adding acid reduces RA. Does this mean adding a little bit of acid malt to the mash would help in my case?

https://a8063b53-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites...OkYfgUtz1a3PZSltmPUx-nG2UXJw==&attredirects=0

Not trying to argue your points, just wondering what my options are. Obviously brewing with my water straight up has yielded me good results in the past. Everyone loves my beer and I've made all kinds of styles light and dark. I'm just trying to take this to the next level without overcomplicating things for myself. An RO system looks expensive. I read a fellow homebrewer uses acid malt to fix some of his mashes. So it just has me wondering what that will buy me.

Also, is there an easy way for me to test this without spending the $40 for another water test after diluting the water? I came across this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C0A7ZY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 Would this get me there?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I messed around with a free water calculator and got these results with my water + 50% diluted w/distilled + 5g of gypsum...

According to these numbers on that spreadsheet, I fall within Palmer's Recommended Ranges. /shrug

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 97
Mg: 26
Na: 32
Cl: 142
SO4: 7
HCO3: 229

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 5 / 5
RO or distilled %: 50% / 50%

Total Grain (lb): 12.5

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 5 / 5