The New "Don't Do It"!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
So I brewed last night, I finished around 2am I left the spent grains in the mash tun. I just set the lid on didn't fasten it. When I got around to dumping the grains and cleaning it was the worst smell! Clean as you go you'll have a happier wife!

HA! Now you know...

I have finished up at 2 and 3am and I ALWAYS scoop out the tun. That is usually the only cleaning I'll do at that point. Scoop and rinse the tun and then go to bed.

What the heck do you do while you boil? Besides drink, clean the tun!;)

This. Except I do it while the wort is heating to a boil. Fortunately it's just a matter of dumping the cooler/mash tun over the fence for the cows and a quick rinse with the garden hose. Done in 5 minutes max. The only time it took longer was when I dumped too vigorously and the false bottom fell out over the fence with the grain. I had to walk 100 yards to the gate and back to retrieve something that was only 5 feet away.

I was drinking and my brother called, so I didn't go back to the tun, I usually to clean it immediately...lessons learned...I just don't understand what the hell that smell was!

ha been there, the grain sours really quick. dumping in the back 40 has the same effect. You best have a "back 80".

How about leaving it in a cooler in a hot garage for a week because you completely forgot about it...that starts to smell like death

Latest posts

Back