Help Me Identify My Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capsloc

Reaction score
So when I received my two plants, there was a mixup with the labels when they were put on the ground.

I have Chinook and Cascade growing. One of my plants was cut by the gardener (luckily I was cool about it and there wasn't a dead gardener).

The other plant grew and now seems like it's almost ready. I would like to see if maybe anyone here can tell me if it's the Chinook or Cascade.

Additional Info: This one was a slow grower. The one that was cut, was growing fast and grew hop cones way before this one. Not sure if that'll help in identifying which is which.

20150729_172432.jpg

20150730_102615.jpg

20150730_102633.jpg

20150730_103129.jpg

Looks more like my Chinook then Cascade. For mine the Cascade grew much faster and were first to show cones too, so that supports yours being chinook. The cone shape also looks more like chinook then cascade.

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news. I hope you're ready for this. Are you sitting down?

I think you might have to just make a bunch of delicious beer to be sure. Maybe several batches (just to be sure). I know, oh the humanity!!

:mug:

Seriously though, absolutely gorgeous hops. Really nice looking.

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news. I hope you're ready for this. Are you sitting down?

I think you might have to just make a bunch of delicious beer to be sure. Maybe several batches (just to be sure). I know, oh the humanity!!

Then share with several members here for analyzation. perhaps a three member team 2 beers each.

Looks more like my Chinook then Cascade. For mine the Cascade grew much faster and were first to show cones too, so that supports yours being chinook. The cone shape also looks more like chinook then cascade.
Hah I had a slight feeling that the fast grower was the Cascade.

:mug:

Seriously though, absolutely gorgeous hops. Really nice looking.

Hahaha. Thank you, can't wait to brew something with these :mug:

I had a friend grow chinook. The cones were sizable and had a almost boxy shape. Those look more like cascade to me. This may help you, it gives some physical characteristics.:
http://beerlegends.com/cascade-us-hops
http://beerlegends.com/chinook-hops

Chinook is supposed to have dark yellow lupulin, while cascade is a little lighter.

Brew with them. If you get some pine its probably chinook. Otherwise next year when they both grow, the more bitter one is likely chinook.

Here are closeups I took of my Cascade last year. They have a square shape when viewed from the bottom. They grow very fast. I don;t have any Chinook growing.

hops 035.jpg

hops 019.jpg

hops 020.jpg

Those look more like my Cascade than my Chinook.
Also, my Cascade are about a week and a half behind the Chinook - which is a good couple of weeks behind the Centennials and Fuggles (which are definitely ready to harvest)...

Cheers!

My larger cascade cones towards the tops of the bines clearly have a square shape to them as pictured above. The lower cones are bullet shaped.

Latest posts

Back