Haven't posted in a while, brewing this today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozart4898

Reaction score
Hey all - I haven't posted in a long LONG time so I figured it was time to get back on. Here's what I'm brewing today:

Fruit Salad IIPA (~5.5 gallon batch)
(My efficiency has sucked lately and this is no exception, only got 68%)

Mashed with a 1.25 qt/1 lb ratio for 90 minutes, collected about 8.5 gallons. Started mash at 151 and dropped to 149 by end.
15 1/2 lb Briess Two Row
3/4 lb Special Roast
1 1/2 lb sugar

1 1/2 oz Calypso (17% AA) @ 60 minutes
2 oz Belma (10.9%) @ 5 minutes
1 oz Citra (12.9%) @ 5 minutes
2 oz Chinook (12.4%) @ whirlpool
2 oz Mosaic (11.5%) @ whirlpool
1 oz Citra @ whirlpool
1/2 oz Chinook @ hopback
1/2 oz Mosaic @ hopback
1/2 oz Citra @ hopback
1 oz Chinook DH in primary
1 oz Mosaic DH in secondary
1 oz Citra DH in secondary

Pitching 2 packs of S-04

This is NOT a tested recipe so I'm not guaranteeing anything if anyone sees this and tries it, but I figured I'd share. :mug:

All these hops sitting out in the kitchen right now makes the house smell like melon, stone fruit, berries...and cat pee :D

The last two home brewed IIPAs I tasted were hot. I admit one of those was mine. (Damn, that hurt.) Keep fermentation temps under control. In my case that meant ramping up later then usual. I don't use S-04, so maybe this isn't a problem for your beer, but...

The last two home brewed IIPAs I tasted were hot. I admit one of those was mine. (Damn, that hurt.) Keep fermentation temps under control. In my case that meant ramping up later then usual. I don't use S-04, so maybe this isn't a problem for your beer, but...

Fermentation temps are always a concern...I use a swamp cooler/frozen bottles in the water to keep things cool. The first couple days of fermentation involve a LOT of swapping out bottles and ice packs to keep the thing cool. Thing is, I've found of all dry yeasts S-04 is the WORST when it gets too warm, but if you can keep it cool enough (63-65 in my experience) it's a great yeast that quickly drops clear, whereas US-05 seems to hang around and leave things "yeasty" for a long time (not just in appearance, but even flavor as well). The IPA I'm drinking right now still has a bit of US-05 suspended in it after a couple weeks in the keg - otherwise I'd have gone with it.

If aging for a couple months it's not an issue as it will finally drop clear but obviously, you don't want to age an IPA/IIPA that long.

If anyone's following this...an update - I've been trying to be more patient with my beers lately as I definitely can tell an improvement when I leave them go over a month, rather than kegging them within 2 weeks. This just went to "secondary" tonight. I decided to up my original dry hop schedule - the primary had 2 oz of Chinook for a week, and the 2nd dry hop is 1 1/2 oz each of Citra and Mosaic. (So rather than 3 oz total of dry hop, it's 5 oz...and I finally hit the 1 pound of hops in a 5 gallon batch mark too!) I put secondary in quotes as the plan is 5-7 days only in the secondary before racking to the keg - I think most people if they use a secondary will go at least as long in the secondary as the primary and this won't be nearly that.

Notes at this point - success in the temperature management department as it doesn't have a "hot" taste or weird esters (which I've definitely had with S-04 before...I love this yeast but it just plain gets nasty when it hits high 60s early). The sugar feeding in primary would bring my "original" gravity to 1.079 which was a bit below where I originally wanted it...but I'm glad that's all the higher it was, as between mashing pretty low, no crystal malts, a substantial sugar feeding, warming the ferment after a week or so, and shaking the fermenter a few times to keep the yeast going...it's at 1.009 now. I'm amazed that S-04 knocked this down that far - it's solidly over 9% ABV! 88% apparent attenuation on S-04 - does that sound out of the ordinary? I did pitch two packs so there was plenty of yeast. Regardless, at this point the only complaint I'd have is that it just doesn't seem to have enough hop flavor/aroma. This is something that I've got to figure out as it's driving me nuts. Hopefully the 2nd dry hop will kick it up closer to where I want. My Citra smelled like straight cat pee when I opened the bag this evening...as one who has cats, I can't believe how much I love that when it hits me in hops, but I do!

Back