Concentrated Lemonade Flavoring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveDay

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a recipe that calls for .125 oz of Concentrated Lemonade Flavoring. It also says "your local home brew shop should have this."
My local shop had no idea what I was talking about. Any ideas or suggestions for substitutions?

It's basically for an extract cream ale recipe. 4 lbs Light Pilsen malt, 1lb rice solids, 1lb sugar, and some Saaz hops. Recipe says to add it to the bottling bucket. I brewed yesterday, so I've got 10-14 days to acquire this. I'd rather not order online if I can avoid it. I guess the lemonade flavor is just for some summer zing. I can live without it I suppose, but it sounds kind of boring without something extra, and my wife is looking forward to lemon addition (as opposed to the brown ales and hoppy pales I usually provide her with).

Lemon juice I got. Any recommendations for amount? How much should I use to substitute 0.125oz of the flavor concentrate?

I would suggest you add the lemon juice on bottling day (kegging?). Draw a precise pint from the bottling bucket before adding sugar and then add a very small and carefully measured quantity of juice. Taste it, if not lemony enough, add more until you get near the taste you want. After that it's all math.
In the past I have added lemon zest to the fermenter about 1 week prior to bottling (I usually soak it in vodka first...just in case...then dump it in vodka and all). 1 medium lemon is subtle. 3 or 4 gets you noticeable lemon flavor...but not overwhelming. It also seems to add a little bitterness imo. I did not experience any issues with head retention or lacing either.

Good luck!

A couple years ago I used True Lemon packets when making a shandy out of a cream ale. I used 12 packets at bottling time but you could use more/less depending on how much lemon flavor you want.

Brewsday, that sounds like a great idea! That way I can control the flavor, and get some "mad scientist" fun out of this brew. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yep, sounds like a shandy. Use your regular priming sugar and then add sugar free lemonade mix in bottling bucket. Add until desired flavor.

Back