Converting electric smoker to gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfgoat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have this old electric box style smoker that the burner has gone out on and I was looking to replace it but then I thought what if I cut a hole in the bottom to fit it with a propane burner so that I can save the cash and still have a decent smoker.

I started looking at it to try and use what I already have lying around. So what I found is that I have the smoker already and I have one of these little camp burners that I thought would give all the heat I would probably need for this setup.

I'm sure I would need to convert the inlet in some way so I can just attach a regulator to it because I want to run it off of one of my bigger propane bottles.

Any thoughts on this? Is this a ridiculous idea? And of course any pointers in converting this burner to add a regulator to it? Thanks.

View attachment 1437153918270.jpg

Should work I have a propane smoker and I need to turn it to its lowest setting to hold 225f. You don't want to put the burner directly in the box instead make a ring big enough to fit the burner in with holes in it maybe 4 inches tall and attach it to the bottom of box. The burner needs air to operate and needs to sit just below the sealed box so it can draw air in from the holes in the ring.

Back