1960's freezer draws too much juice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30Bones

Reaction score
....So I got my 1960's chest freezer and it works great.....until I plug it into my blackbox and the 10A slow blow....well blows.😩 Anything I can do to make this work safely. I was hoping this old beast didn't draw that much juice.

Compressor isn't from the 60's, it's clean and has been replaced at some point, maybe the tag on it will tell me something as well.

One suggestion I got was to find a hard start capacitor that's compatible with your compressor, it will help draw less amps when the compressor kicks on. But this will help only if it draws more than 10 amps while starting but less than 10 while running.

Maybe get one of those wall socket amperage readers to see exactly how far off you are? If your at like 13-15A or something your hosed, but if it just spikes up to like 11A on power on and then just draws out to something like 6-9A when running then just dont use the fuse, the relay should be able to handle it.

Neighbor came over with more knowledge than myself. It's drawing close to 20 amps on start up. I need to find a relay to take this load before it gets to my STC1000

We use these about everywhere in the shop:

RIB2401B.jpg

http://www.functionaldevices.com/pdf/datasheets/RIB2401B.pdf

Less than $20 and easily tucked inside the fridge compressor area.

'da Kid

Damn, seriously unless this is like some family heirloom i would trash it and get a modern one.

Your going to be blowing through so much electricity with the compressor going on and off up to several times an hour possibly.

If its pulling 20A at startup i bet its pulling a ton while running.

We use these about everywhere in the shop:

RIB2401B.jpg

http://www.functionaldevices.com/pdf/datasheets/RIB2401B.pdf

Less than $20 and easily tucked inside the fridge compressor area.

'da Kid
Thanks!

Damn, seriously unless this is like some family heirloom i would trash it and get a modern one.

Your going to be blowing through so much electricity with the compressor going on and off up to several times an hour possibly.

Only will be on during fermenting, so a couple weeks a month tops. Pulls under 3 when running.

Find me a free modern one this size and I'd go that route. :cross:

As the OP indicated, these old compressors have very low run requirements...less than many modern ones but the first 5-10 second start-up spike is large to enormous.

3amps running is still 345 watts, my new 7.2 cf igloo only draws 85-100 running. Off grid you look at every watt!

3amps running is still 345 watts, my new 7.2 cf igloo only draws 85-100 running. Off grid you look at every watt!
That's awesome. I needed larger than 7CF and those are not easy to come buy used for decent prices, and my 15CF keezer new was into the $400 range. For fermenting I am not being too picky. I'd like a newer one of course but my hobby budget isn't huge at the moment.

The work around for last nights brew session was to empty out a small 9CF upright we have, put that inventory in the 60's freezer and use my STC1000 on the upright for this brew session.

Back