Plastic carboy melted or caved in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshyG

Reaction score
My friend lent me a plastic carboy and I had a bunch of wort in there probably at 100'. Impatient as I was I wanted to sleep and added almost 200' water to top it off.
so it kinda caved in or hopefully not melted but check it out: View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436259711.450812.jpg

Anyway I think it's fine but what about you all? Btw I used a small siphon so their was no oxygen coming on just straight water which is why I think it caved in due to hear and no O2.

Josh

BPA risk no? Chemicals from the plastic will surely have leeched from the carboy into your beer?

Either way, I think you owe him a new carboy :p You can keep his.

I'm assuming you wanted to top off with boiled water vice cooled water due to being a bit rushed and not allowing your boiled water to cool and not wanting to used tap water.

Regardless I don't think it actually "melted" more like it deformed and by the looks of it, it was more from the steam then the top off water temp going in.

I think you're fine.

You had siphoned the top off water into the wort to keep oxygen out? The wort should be aerated as much as possible before pitching the yeast, for a better fermentation.

Those better bottles don't like 200 degree liquids in them. Pretty sure they mention something on their site.

Why would you put near boiling liquid into a plastic container? You didn't pitch your yeast, did you?

No no I haven't pitched yet. I'm no newb. there.
I don't have a wort chiller and it was 2am when I was dead tired finishing. Yeah for some reason I guess I thought it was "food grade" and could take the heat. Plus I have like 3 other carboys which are all glass and never use this one before- it is my brother in laws.

Anyway, Thank you guys for the quick responses! I'm be drinking this one for sure.

Josh

Case you were wondering my recipe for this wheat IPA I did:
6lbs liquid wheat extract
6 lbs German pils grains
1lb wheat flakes
1lb c 40
8oz acid malt

Hops:
4oz citra
2oz centennial
2oz Amarillo
2oz Nelson

Cal ale yeast

There is really only one way to fix this, and you need to follow these instructions very closely:

1. Siphon out all of the wort into another fementer.
2. Rinse out the carboy.
3. Get a set of tongs from your kitchen and drop them into the carboy SKINNY END FIRST.
4. Give the carboy back to your friend and tell him to post a picture of it on this forum.

If you follow these instructions closely, he will still have a messed up carboy, but I assure you he will forgive you. Trust me.

Plus I have like 3 other carboys which are all glass and never use this one before...

Do you pour 200° liquid into glass carboys, too? Sounds like a recipe for thermal shock, shattered glass, and stitches.

Without a wort chiller, I would strongly suggest you get a big tub from Walmart (or use the utility sink, or bath tub) and submerge your kettle in cold water until the wort gets below 140°F before transferring to either plastic or glass.

Case you were wondering my recipe for this wheat IPA I did:
6lbs liquid wheat extract
6 lbs German pils grains
1lb wheat flakes
1lb c 40
8oz acid malt

Hops:
4oz citra
2oz centennial
2oz Amarillo
2oz Nelson

Cal ale yeast
I recipe was really the least of what concerns me. You say you're not a newb, which is rad, but food grade doesn't mean heat resistant. ;)

My friend lent me a plastic carboy and I had a bunch of wort in there probably at 100'. Impatient as I was I wanted to sleep and added almost 200' water to top it off.
so it kinda caved in or hopefully not melted but check it out: View attachment 288800

Anyway I think it's fine but what about you all? Btw I used a small siphon so their was no oxygen coming on just straight water which is why I think it caved in due to hear and no O2.

Josh

The same thing happened to
Me a couple of years ago due to a lack of attention. I hooked up the tubing directly from my BK instead of from my CFC!
Fortunately I caught it fairly quickly & dumped the wort back into the BK and hit the heat.
Beer turned out great.
I did replace my BB.

Back