Conan yeast recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attyindaburgh

Reaction score
So I made a starter of Conan yeast from a free vial that was expired. I did a step starter and now I just need a good recipe other than heady. Any suggestions? (All grain).

Just use it in any recipe that calls for us-05 that you think a peach ester would be ok with. Pretty much any blonde, pale ale, ipa is a safe bet.

I use conan in all my IPAs. Here;s my one ive been tweaking. The hop combo of belma and huell melon is outstanding. Like strawberry apricot gatorade. I also have a piney dank black IPA that I can post. Conans peachy flavor and silky mouthfeel work perfectly along with these unusually fruity hops. Still toying around with the last hop in the combo.

7 lb 2 row
2.5 lb wheat
1 lb vienna
6 oz golden naked oats
1 lb cane sugar

mash at 150

@60: 1 oz apollo
@10: 1 oz Belma / 1 oz Huell Melon
@0min: 1.5 oz Belma / 1.5 oz Huell Melon / 2 oz El dorado / 1 oz citra
@30min into hopstand: 1 oz Belma / 1 oz Huell Melon / 1 oz Citra
@dry: 0.5 oz Belma / 0.5 oz Huell Melon / 2 oz El Dorado
@keg: 1 oz citra

here's the black one if you are looking for something else. Ive found piney and dank hops work best with black IPAs. It can be hard to choose the right hops. I steer clear of anythign floral. Simcoe and Chinook are definitely winners for black IPAs. I had 2 oz comet leftover and it can get super pungent in dry hopping supposedly. This one also has an hour long hopstand at flameout.

@60: 1 oz magnum
@15: 1 oz simcoe / 1 oz rakau
@0: 1 oz simcoe / 2 oz rakau / 1 oz chinook
@+15: 1 oz simcoe / 1 oz rakau / 2 oz chinook
@dry: 1 oz simcoe / 1 oz chinook
@dry2: 2 oz comet
@keg: 1 oz simcoe

9lb 2 row
12oz midnight wheat
1.5lb flaked barley
4oz golden naked oats
6oz carapils
1 lb cane sugar

mash at 148
The midnight wheat is the best malt to get a black IPA with the least amount of roast character. A mashout at 168 for 10min helps get the last bit of color contribution. I also sometime have an extra few ounces crushed on hand to toss in at the end of the mash if I just need a bit more color. I try to do as much as I can to differentiate the black IPA from a hoppy stout

Back