first time booch brew questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottballz

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have been brewing beer for a few years now and my wife and I recently got into drinking Kambucha so we figured we might as well save a few bucks and make it our self. seeing as mold seems to be the enemy here, I have a few questions for some of the experts out there.

How important is it for the booch to be in darkness while fermenting? It seems to me like the light could help prevent mold growing, but i'm not sure if the SCOBY likes UV.

would it be ok to use an airlock if darkness is absolutely necessary? the CO2 blanket would help to prevent mold as well.

Thanks!
Scott

Hello Scott,

I keep some in the a cup board and some I leave on top of the fridge to watch it. I have no problems with mold.

You don't want to use an air lock as you want the air to interact with the tea. The type of fermentation is aerobic. It needs the air.

Brew your sweet tea, add your culture, put on a air permeable top and stick it somewhere that lets you forget it for a while. When you come back you'll have a new scoby on top and KT ready to drink.

Back