when can bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindsore

Reaction score
ok,i skipped the secondary fermentation and just left my brew in the primary fermentor. its been 13 days and i have had little to no activity in 3 or 4 days. my temp has been consistent at 69-70 degrees. another issue i had is this is my first brew and i did not get a gravity reading before fermentation. its in a 6 gallon carboy, its a porter/ stout.i plan to bottle in 12 ounce reused brown bottles. from what i can read it looks like i need to use about 3 ounces of priming sugar?

suggestions please! :confused:

Nowadays it is not a big deal to skip secondary fermentation unless you had intentions of dry hopping or adding fruit/wood chips. So no worries there.

I would still get a gravity reading today/tomorrow and possibly Saturday to ensure gravity is not changing (airlocks are not the best indication of fermentation). Then you will be good to bottle.

There are online calculators to get the right amount of priming sugar for your style; looks like you've already got that number ready. It's all good. you made beer!

Here's a couple of priming calculators I use; http://www.northernbrewer.com/learn/resources/priming-sugar-calculator/
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
And skipping secondary is fine, just give the beer a chance to settle out clear or slightly misty before priming/bottling. And use a hydrometer 2-3 days apart to see if it's done fermenting. If the numbers match, it's done. And the calculators are using weighed amounts of priming sugars or DME. So you'll need a cheap, small scale to weight them out. You also pick a style to go by as well. I boil 2C of water for a couple minutes, then stir the weighed amount of sugar into it till the water goes clear again. Then cover & cool a bit while I get the bottling bucket, racking/bottling tubes ready.

thanks for the feed back. any suggestions on how to get the hydrometer down into the carboy and back out to get the reading? also my brew still has a good 8 inches of the krausen is still present. is that pretty normal?

Some krausens are rather stubborn. It'd be easier to use a wine thief to get the sample, rather than trying to fish the hydrometer back out.

Definitely use a wine thief rather than risk hydrometer break in carboy. "Wine Thief" in my house looks identical to "sanitized turkey baster", just FYI. But you do want something like a graduated cylinder 100ml or so that can hold 3-4oz of beer and float the hydrometer.

But do not float hydrometer in carboy. Too easy to break, then I think you'd have to dump the whole thing.

If there is that much kraeusen present, it's not really done. Yeah I know, kraeusen can be stubborn. But really, just put the carboy back in the closet and forget about it for another week.

In the meantime, get yourself a turkey baster and a testing tube.

Was this an extract recipe? If so, you can get the OG from the recipe specs.

Cheers!

frazier, the recipe was just a thrown together last minute of what was left over from the local home brew store that is now closed. the owner Paul said "this will make something like a porter/stout" lol

Ok I'll grab the stuff thanks guys

1435871293487.jpg

Latest posts

Back