WAI-ITI hops any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
My wife ordered me some random hops for Father's Day and one of them is wai-iti. I have 8oz of them and no idea what to brew with them?
Other hops on hand (4-8oz each) ;
Amarillo
Cascade
Simcoe
Centennial
I'm thinking an American Summer Wheat style beer with some orange peel and coriander?
Anyone care to help out and give some pointers?
All grain brewer
Also I have the following yeasts on hand,
Wlp 001
Wyeast 2565
US-05
S-04

Isn't alpha quite low? I'd pair them with Cascade or a very gentle blend of Amarillo / Centennial. I think the wheat is a good idea, but I'd drop the orange peel and coriander to not overpower the hops. You could try a session APA or a British golden ale (I think the BJCP 2015 description is quite accurate).

Isn't alpha quite low? I'd pair them with Cascade or a very gentle blend of Amarillo / Centennial. I think the wheat is a good idea, but I'd drop the orange peel and coriander to not overpower the hops. You could try a session APA or a British golden ale (I think the BJCP 2015 description is quite accurate).

Are they really that weak? I was hoping I could brew a beer that compliment lemon/lime character that the hops are said to have.

I have found them to be rather plain on their own. I would definitely use as a supporting hop along with more flavorful types.

Not in the pub tonight but they had Rakau sh. I think plain is a bit too mean, but they aren't as pungent as Citra or Galaxy. You could do an IPA and use 8oz of them or blend a couple oz into something like a golden ale. I mean, you could chuck them into an Imperial Stout with orange peel and chocolate but they'd get lost.

So basically I need to something with a known citrus profile in and let the wai-Iti work off that. Ok. I'll see what I can come up with.
Thanks and if anyone has any recommendations as to what to play off of ill take it

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm curious what you ended up doing with the Wai-Iti. I just picked up some, and am still trying to figure out what i'm gonna brew with them. I'm leaning more towards an amber ale, but from what I've been able to glean on the interweb, it seems like they might get overshadowed in a malty brew. I have some Red-X malt, and have read that some people noticed a cherry like flavor from it. Sounded like they would blend well together.
3 years is a long way to go back in memory, so I understand if you don't quite remember the flavor profile.

I am planning on using Wai-Iti, so I have no first hand experience with these hops. But from the threads I could find about these hops, they are not potent and also exhibit low AA%.

For that reason alone, it would be a must to brew a smash. 100% Pilsner/Pale malt with all Wai-Iti hops and something like Chico for the yeast. I believe my recipe calls for 8 oz for late additions and whirlpool and another 6 oz in the dry hop, alone because they have such low AA%.

Cheers! ( as for aroma and flavour, they should be pretty citrus forward - could turn out dull for that reason, but ... )

That's kinda what I've been seeing. The were on sale a few days back, so I figured why not get some. Seems like I need to save them for a different batch. The AA% is really low, just barely over 2, so it appears that an amber wouldn't quite work unless you add a pound or so. I only do 2.5 gallon batches, but a pound would probably still be needed.

Back