Lowering Diacytel after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
I believe my hefeweizen has diacytel...

I am going to attempt to lower the amount of diacytel by gently turning each bottle upside down, gently swirling to get some yeast in suspension, and setting the bottles right side up at about 75 F. Wouldn't the yeast possibly absorb some diacytel on their way back down during floccation?

I fermented at 66 first day, and ramped to 68 over 5 days. I bumped to 70 on day 10, and bottled on day 11... Been in bottles for about 2.5 weeks.

I know I should've raised the temp sooner, and maybe should've waited -4 days for bottling, but I wanted a super fresh hefe and read that 11 days ferm has worked for other people (of course they probably had temp higher after 5 days, hindsight, right?)

Anyways, so you think this method may work for lowering my diacytel levels?

The couple batches I had that showed signs cleaned up on their own in the bottle. You could nudge it along by rousing and conditioning a little high. The 2 batches in my garage right now sit at 90, no cares because they won't sit long.

Well I flipped the bottles like 2.5 hours ago and set them in my driveway at 82 F. I'll bring em back in for the night at 74-75. I hope the few hours outside in the heat will help em out

Are you sure it's diacetyl? It's very unlikely at those fermentation temps. There are lots of estery/fruity flavours from hef yeasts, is it definitely a butter flavour?

Well I flipped the bottles like 2.5 hours ago and set them in my driveway at 82 F. I'll bring em back in for the night at 74-75. I hope the few hours outside in the heat will help em out

Please say you covered them somehow, and that they got no direct sun exposure?

Are you sure it's diacetyl? It's very unlikely at those fermentation temps. There are lots of estery/fruity flavours from hef yeasts, is it definitely a butter flavour?

This isn't anything I've ever tasted in a hefe, and I've have several. I'm gonna have my buddy taste it and see what he thinks

Follow up: I think my little bottle flipping, temperature temporary raising trick helped on this one. 2-3 days later the flavor I was describing was pretty much gone...

Latest posts

Back