Hiatus from Brewing (so sad)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
Well, it's happened to me too. I haven't done a batch since April, and the soonest I'll be doing another is mid-July. I'm already running out of homebrew, which is practically a sin.

On the other hand, I'm taking the break because I started a new job. Which is great! I've got some interesting ideas on how I can start spending all this money, although a first paycheck would be a nice to have first.

The first batch in the queue for July is a dubbel, though I have to master a new water supply first.

I feel you. Due to family and work and coaching HS sports i have not brewed since October!! I am getting the shakes.

congrats on the new job!

Thanks!

I'm feeling the pain here. I can't imagine eight months without brewing. The job is going well, but what's the point without homebrew?

I make it a priority to brew twice a month (though Im seeking a new job which may compromise that)... I cant blame you guys though, but I feel its my job to have to send you some homebrew to keep your sanity...

I can rarely find time to brew anymore... between a 20 month old and one with a month left to go in the "oven" i probably wont be able to brew here soon for a few months... and im OUT of beer :) well, i have 10 gallons of IPA about ready to dry hop, but nothing after that... Convinced my wife to let me brew twice before the kiddo is here, so hopefully i'll have stock here soon.

Similar boat here. I'm trying to sell my house and was told not to have those 'weird' buckets and giant glass bottles sitting in the closet. I haven't brewed since March and probably won't be able to brew again until September. I've been rationing my stocks.

Well, I'm all moved in. Although I am working quite a lot, I'm planning (hoping) to brew my first batch in months tomorrow. Going big on this one. I mean, if you're resuming brewing after months, why go small? So, I'm brewing up a Belgian Quad. After I post this, I'm heading to the basement to crush grains.

I feel your pain. I haven't been able to brew in a year! First it was moving, then some stupid rule saying we can't have alcohol out here lol. Can not wait to get home and start all my cooking and brewing apparatuses up.

Since i moved away for a job i now have plenty of time to brew but I can't keep up drinking as much as a brew. I have an entire case of cider, a half a corny of high Alc Saison, two 5 gallons of sour and no time to drink it. Not that is a huge problem but trying to drain a keg myself fast to fill it again just gives me a headache.

I feel your pain. I haven't been able to brew in a year! First it was moving, then some stupid rule saying we can't have alcohol out here lol. Can not wait to get home and start all my cooking and brewing apparatuses up.

No alcohol? For a year? Apparatuses? Sounds like a living hell.

Since i moved away for a job i now have plenty of time to brew but I can't keep up drinking as much as a brew. I have an entire case of cider, a half a corny of high Alc Saison, two 5 gallons of sour and no time to drink it. Not that is a huge problem but trying to drain a keg myself fast to fill it again just gives me a headache.

If you have too much homebrew on your hands, I know a couple of thirsty brewers who could use some!

No alcohol? For a year? Apparatuses? Sounds like a living hell.

Lol the apparatuses are not bad.. they are good! I'm a kitchen gadget addict.

But yup, no alcohol on bases in the ol Afghanistan. I don't get it.. everyone would be happier if we could just share some brews lol.:tank:

Lol the apparatuses are not bad.. they are good! I'm a kitchen gadget addict.

But yup, no alcohol on bases in the ol Afghanistan. I don't get it.. everyone would be happier if we could just share some brews lol.:tank:

I was going to ask if you were contracting in the Middle East. I spent 15 months and a couple of dry birthdays in Ramadi. Did get some beer for the Marine Corps birthday (I was in the Army, but we were attached to a Mar Div), and of course folks mailed me some booze. I bet you're dying to get back to Wisconsin.

I was going to ask if you were contracting in the Middle East. I spent 15 months and a couple of dry birthdays in Ramadi. Did get some beer for the Marine Corps birthday (I was in the Army, but we were attached to a Mar Div), and of course folks mailed me some booze. I bet you're dying to get back to Wisconsin.

Yessir.. home in just under 9 weeks. :rockin:

I actually brewed today (if you can believe it). Couple of bumps... nothing major. Just some adjusting back into the hobby. I bought RO water because I have no idea what's in mine, but I ended up having to cut it with some tap water. It's softened, so hopefully not a mess? I treated it with campden just in case, so it should be fine. I also discovered that the AA% on all my hops were under what I used to calculate the recipe (some by a lot), so I had to up my amounts and even sneak in 1/8oz of warrior mid-boil. And I undershot my post-boil volume, so I topped up with 3/4gal of tap water quick treated with a smidge of campden. So, kind of sloppy, but I'll have beer (hopefully some damn good beer). Feels good to be back in the game!

Back