Cloudy StarSan Clears In Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
My StarSan is always cloudy and I know that's fairly common. I'm assuming it's the DSBA (surfactant) coming out of suspension due to a reaction with something in our water. When I put StarSan in my airlock, it always stays cloudy start to finish. But the StarSan in the airlock of my present brew, after about 1/2 day of bubbling, cleared like gin! I'm pretty sure the pH or metal content hasn't changed. Could the escaping C02 have an effect? Curious if anyone has ever noticed the same thing happen.

My StarSan is always cloudy and I know that's fairly common. I'm assuming it's the DSBA (surfactant) coming out of suspension due to a reaction with something in our water. I've read that high alkalinity or high iron content can cause this, yet we have neither. While I'm not concerned about the haze itself, I am wondering why the cloudy StarSan in my airlock, after about 1/2 day of bubbling, clears up. I don't think the pH or metal content in the airlock is changing. Or the escaping C02. Just curious if anyone has noticed the same thing happening.

I don't know- but I have a guess. C02 is acidic, and as it bubbles through, it changes the pH of the solution.

That's my final answer.

Do I win?

Mine starts cloudy, and then whatever it is that has precipitated out drops to the bottom of the airlock. Because of the shape of the airlock, you can't see it. It's only noticeable if you empty out the airlock and feel the bottom of the cup - it's way slicker than any of the other surfaces. No idea if this could be the case for you.

Mine starts cloudy, and then whatever it is that has precipitated out drops to the bottom of the airlock. Because of the shape of the airlock, you can't see it. It's only noticeable if you empty out the airlock and feel the bottom of the cup - it's way slicker than any of the other surfaces. No idea if this could be the case for you.

I use a 3-piece, but I'll check closely after ferm. Thanks..

I think it's like Yooper said, the StarSan surfactant is acidic and with a borderline pH in your water, causes the cloudiness. As the CO2 passes through the solution and out of the airlock, it changes the pH of the solution and creates a clearer solution. Not too hard to comprehend. Afterall, this stuff isn't rocket surgery.

Back