Adding a whirlpool port to the Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Bobby_M You're right. I had the pickup tube, though and wanted to see if I could re-purpose it.

@Biscuits Thanks!

You don't have flow restriction issues with your dip tube/tubing so close to the bottom of the kettle.. ?

I'll find out when I brew next. That's also a good thing about using silicone, I can shave it until I get the flow I need. I'll be sure to report back.

I'll find out when I brew next. That's also a good thing about using silicone, I can shave it until I get the flow I need. I'll be sure to report back.

I originally had a street L positioned that close... It was great for draining because it left all of the trub behind. The consequence is that it limited the flow of the pump so bad that you couldn't whirlpool anywhere near as effectively.

Mine is about 1/4" off of the kettle floor now & makes for a happy medium.

If you are already putting a valve on that port, the simple and compact way would be to duplicate what you have on the drain port but turn the elbow 90 degrees.

Im pretty sure i already know the answer but is there any reason you couldnt just take one of your dip tubes for welded fittings and do this as well? Trying to piece out my equipment for my pots here im building in a month or so and many of the "whirlpool" arms are like 20-30, i dont see why a simple elbow or your only moderately more expensive dip tube wouldnt work?

Im pretty sure i already know the answer but is there any reason you couldnt just take one of your dip tubes for welded fittings and do this as well? Trying to piece out my equipment for my pots here im building in a month or so and many of the "whirlpool" arms are like 20-30, i dont see why a simple elbow or your only moderately more expensive dip tube wouldnt work?

A high flow street elbow with a piece of silicone hose on the end works well.

You adjust the depth of the return by rotating the fitting towards the bottom of the kettle.

Did something similar to the OP with one of Bobby's dip tubes, but I agree with Bobby. A street elbow would have been a simpler solution. Works well though.

whirlpool_12.jpg

Back