Lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHebert

Reaction score
I brewed an Abita Beer Andygator clone. The OG was 1.080. It has been fermenting at 55 degrees and seems to be stuck at 1.030. Yeast is German Lager White Labs WLP830. Can I take it out and let it warm up some to see if the fermentation will pick up?

Been fermenting for 3 weeks. Stuck for 3 days. Used a hydrometer. Don't know what to expect for a FG, but my best guess is that it should be lower that 1.030.

Been fermenting for 3 weeks. Stuck for 3 days. Used a hydrometer. Don't know what to expect for a FG, but my best guess is that it should be lower that 1.030.

If it's active at all, now is the time for the diacetyl rest, then. Three weeks is a long time, and if it was going lower it should have done it by now.

Try bringing it to 68F for two days and see if anything happens. I've never let one go for 3 weeks at 55F (I don't have temp control) but I've had some get stuck and warming them up along with rousing the yeast has helped.

Go ahead and bring it to room temp for a few days, or a couple weeks. I wouldn't bet the farm on it going much, if any lower though, can't hurt to try though.

How much yeast did you pitch? You would definitely need much more for a 1.080 lager then a 1.080 ale. Did you do a starter? In general a 1.080 ale would need 273 Billion yeast cells if yeast was fresh today, a lager at 1.080 would need 547 billion (or 5.6 vials or packs without a starter).

Latest posts

Back