Looking for a new hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazzster

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have had some real good success brewing with Citra hops. Specifically using a Cascade Citra combo. The problem is it is so good I am tempted to put it in all my beers.

This weekend I am looking to brew up a pale and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on different hops to use to get that same pleasing intense flavor and aroma.

I have experimented with Simcoe, but I am not loving it as much as the Citra.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Simcoe, Cascade and Amarillo are good to use together. You will get a good citrus and pine taste and smell.

I have the same problem with Citra lately. It just smells so damn good...

I just brewed up a new IPA using AU Summer hops for my late additions. It's giving off a great fruity apricot aroma and tasting great. Going into a keg tomorrow.

I had the stone Delicious which had Lemon Drop hops....it was some interesting minty character. May be good on a hot day.

I really like Hallertau Blanc. Its like a slightly more clean and floral Nelson Sauvin. Bright gooseberry character.

Belma I've been using a lot too. Very soft, peachy, strawberry melon flavors. Both are definitely off the beaten path of pine/citrus

+1 on the Belma. I just tried it for the first time in a summer wheat and am very pleased with the citrus character.

I've had some good luck with centennial, mosaic, and calypso combinations lately. Very different but very interesting with some dark berry flavors.

Some of the best IPAs I've ever had or brewed were with just columbus and simcoe. It's a great combo and you don't get a cluster of flavors going on. Tropical, floral and dank and it's so good.

here's the main problem with suggesting a hop to use:
your palate and my palate and the guy's palate above me, and the guy above him, etc., etc., etc. are all very different.

as an example, i found some dr. rudi once (one i would recommend to try, and one i will pair with cascade in the future), and asked around to some long-time hombrewer friends what they would pair with it (one guy has even started a microbrewery) and most of them suggested something a little earthy or piney to complement the citrus flavor. but i don't really prefer earthy or piney. i prefer something citrusy/fruity paired with something citrusy/fruity and maybe a little bit of floral in there. so if you're going to go off of people's suggestions on here, my advice is to not get your hopes up too much. take the suggestions, plus your own research on what hops sound like they would fit your tastes, and go from there.

i personally recommend a cascade/nelson sauvin combo. i don't personally like hallertaue blanc on its own, but when paired with cascade it makes a pretty good combo (very similar, but still different than NS). hell i would think most NZ aroma hops would probably pair well with cascade. probably cascade paired with any other citrusy/fruity hop is going to be something pleasant.

Good stuff everyone!:rockin:

I am going to try out Belma (if I can find some locally), Galaxy and Mosaic.

Now to write up some recipes.

Thanks Everyone!

I brewed this on Saturday, because I had the hops in the freezer and wanted to make beer:

11# 2 Row
1.5# C20

1/2 oz. Mosaic @ 30
1 1/2 oz Mosaic Hopstand 30 minutes at 170
1 oz Cascade Hopstand

Can't wait to get that in bottles. Smells a little like Sunny D. Thus, that shall be it's name.

My SunnyD DIPA got accidently left on the keg hops for 4 months before I got to try it. I used a few new hops and some fruit additions to try and stress the citrus

10lb 2 row
2.5 lb oats
1lb vienna
6 oz golden naked oats
4 oz c40
1 lb cane sugar

@60 1.5 oz columbus (old)
@20 1 oz Amarillo
@10 1 oz Amarillo
@0 1 oz Lemon drop / 2 oz wai-iti / 1 oz comet
@+20 1 oz Meridian / 1 oz comet / 1 oz wai-tit
@dry: 1 oz lemon drop / 1 oz Meridian / 1oz wai-iti
@keg: 1 oz citra (whole leaf)

the smell when I first pulled the pressure valve was worth the wait

I like using a combination of Zeus and Cascade. Citra tend to be my go to for a lot of beers.

I'll second this. I love Cascade and Chinook with CTZ. I also am a huge fan of Citra. Any time I can add it to an experimental pale/ipa/dipa, I will.

Back