Kayak paddle advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to buy a new kayak paddle from my husband for his birthday. He is always "borrowing" mine. Mine isn't a particularly good one, but it's fairly lightweight and padded on the handle, while his is the one that came with his kayak.

We do mostly lakes and saltwater bays with low waves, in a "sit in" kayak. I was hoping to get something he'd like for $100. I want a low angled paddle, 230 cm I think.

Does anybody have any suggestions of brands and where to order?

It's been awhile since I've been kayaking, but I love my Werner Skagit paddle. I have the carbon fiber model which is obviously lighter and more expensive. They do have the standard fiberglass model on sale from the website I purchased from. It's a comfortable smooth cruising paddle. If you want a paddle that generates a lot of torque and power then this isn't it. It's meant for a nice easy cruise down the river or around the lake. Great quality for the price.

http://www.backcountry.com/werner-s...jE6NzprYXlhayBwYWRkbGU&skid=WER0079-YL-S220CM

I'm still using the Lifetime paddle I bought at Sports Authority for less than $100. Padded handle. Extendable. Comes apart. The blades can be set at different angles. Light enough while stout enough to shove around with. I once dug in the bank for bait with it. Didn't find any, but it made a fine shovel, for a kayak paddle.

I use the Aqua-Bound Manta Ray (full carbon) but the fiberglass low angle (Stingray?) is pretty popular and I think it retails for around $100. You can find some pretty good deals on backcountry.com and they usually have free shipping over $50.

It's been awhile since I've been kayaking, but I love my Werner Skagit paddle. I have the carbon fiber model which is obviously lighter and more expensive. They do have the standard fiberglass model on sale from the website I purchased from. It's a comfortable smooth cruising paddle. If you want a paddle that generates a lot of torque and power then this isn't it. It's meant for a nice easy cruise down the river or around the lake. Great quality for the price.

http://www.backcountry.com/werner-s...jE6NzprYXlhayBwYWRkbGU&skid=WER0079-YL-S220CM

I use the Aqua-Bound Manta Ray (full carbon) but the fiberglass low angle (Stingray?) is pretty popular and I think it retails for around $100. You can find some pretty good deals on backcountry.com and they usually have free shipping over $50.

I went back and forth between the werner skagit and the aqua bound sting ray and ended up getting the all-carbon shaft aqua bound.

This one: I looked at that one, and came very close to buying it but decided on this one instead:

http://www.backcountry.com/aqua-bound-stingray-carbon-paddle-2-piece

Thanks!!!!!!!!

It's been awhile since I've been kayaking, but I love my Werner Skagit paddle
5o.jpg

I can't see your pic, but I literally said the EXACT same thing in my earlier post. Freaky... and we have the same paddles! :mug:

These might both be more than you're looking for. I love my paddles.

I've got a Swift (Eddyline) paddle that I love. It's fiberglass and carbon. I have the mushroom fabric inlay in mine. The fabric inlay allows them to have all sorts of neat designs in the fiberglass. They can even use a custom design that you send them. It's very cool. $$

I've also got a Werner Cyprus (bent shaft). It's all carbon and VERY light. This is the paddle I always use unless I'm out with my wife, then I use the Swift. If you haven't tried a bent shaft, don't - you'll never want to use anything else; they are expensive. $$$

_mg_0166-65558.jpg

[edit] and... it seems this is late info.

You're right, I've tried the Cyprus and I can't wait to finally end up with one. They are not cheap, that's for sure.

Don't get me started on kayak gear. It's the reason I don't brew enough these days.

I've also got a Werner Cyprus (bent shaft). It's all carbon and VERY light. This is the paddle I always use unless I'm out with my wife, then I use the Swift. If you haven't tried a bent shaft, don't - you'll never want to use anything else; they are expensive. $$$

_mg_0166-65558.jpg

[edit] and... it seems this is late info.

I want to buy a new kayak paddle from my husband for his birthday. He is always "borrowing" mine. Mine isn't a particularly good one, but it's fairly lightweight and padded on the handle, while his is the one that came with his kayak.

We do mostly lakes and saltwater bays with low waves, in a "sit in" kayak. I was hoping to get something he'd like for $100. I want a low angled paddle, 230 cm I think.

Does anybody have any suggestions of brands and where to order?

Wait, you are buying it from your husband for his birthday? Can't you just ask him what brand it is?:confused:

Wait, you are buying it from your husband for his birthday? Can't you just ask him what brand it is?:confused:

He was always borrowing my paddle. Mine was nicer than his, but it really wasn't a very good paddle. I wanted to surprise him because he would never ever spend money on something he doesn't "Need"

He was always borrowing my paddle. Mine was nicer than his, but it really wasn't a very good paddle. I wanted to surprise him because he would never ever spend money on something he doesn't "Need"

Too many beers last night. I guess I took the typo literal. Unless you really are buying it "from" him.

I found a picture my Aquabound paddle on the net. It is an Aqua Bound Expedition AMT Carbon Fibre. Amazing paddle... too bad its discontinued. Although it is over 13 years 'young', it still moves plenty of water and looks great doing it!

kayak paddle 2.jpg

Back