Shortest airlock? And do Speidel fermenters block UV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

Reaction score
Two q:

1) What's the shortest airlock you can get? I'm looking into a small chest freezer as a fermentation chamber, but the "step" on the bottom of them means that one carboy will be 8" higher than the other and won't fit with a standard airlock. Is my only option to go with a blowoff on the second carboy?

2) Do the Speidel plastic fermenters block UV? Or do I still need to cover them up?

Thanks.

There used to be an airlock that was built into the stopper that advertised on the sidebar ads. I can't remember what it was called. If you haven't purchased a freezer yet I would look at a 7cf model over a 5cf unless space is very tight.

I haven't seen any short bubblers, don't know if that means they don't exist or that I haven't looked hard enough. I added a collar to my chest freezer chamber so I could get two carboys in without trouble. It's a bit of work, but I didn't like the idea of inadvertently crimping down a hose when I shut the lid, as it would likely result in a popped bung. I can't speak to the Speidel question.

Two q:

1) What's the shortest airlock you can get? I'm looking into a small chest freezer as a fermentation chamber, but the "step" on the bottom of them means that one carboy will be 8" higher than the other and won't fit with a standard airlock. Is my only option to go with a blowoff on the second carboy?

2) Do the Speidel plastic fermenters block UV? Or do I still need to cover them up?

Thanks.

Instead of a standard rubber stopper, get a red carboy cap. They will slide down all the way over the top of your carboy, and your air lock can be pushed all the way down into the carboy cap. This ends up saving about 2" over a standard rubber stopper with airlock.

Well the smallest airlock would just be a piece of foil over the top. You could also build a small collar to give the freezer the height you need.

I figured out the $5 solution - a Speidel spigot with tubing. Super low profile blow off. Thanks for the replies but I think that's the best idea here.

Back