fly/batch sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimEb

Reaction score
Help me clear something up. I'm a seasoned extract brewer looking to leap to all-grain. I see the terms fly and batch sparging thrown around a lot, but never found any clear definitions. This is what I'm assuming, please correct if wrong.

Fly sparging: While draining your mash, you slowly rinse the spent grains with hot water until boil volume is achieved. Mash tun is continuously draining to boil kettle.

Batch sparging: Drain mash, close off valve to boil kettle, fill mash tun up with a volume of hot water. Let rest a bit or maybe immediately open valve and drain to boil kettle.

Is this the jist?

But don't forget to stir the grains after you add the sparge water when batch sparging. A LOT of the efficiency comes from getting that sugar stirred into the sparge water.

Yeah, those are the broad strokes – there are, of course, details and caveats and ins and outs and what-have-yous involved in both processes, just about as far down the rabbit hole as you care to go, but that's the basic difference between the two.

I recommend you do a couple partial-mash brews – beers where you've got some base malt in with your specialty grains, are trying to hit specific volumes and temperatures, convert sugars, etc., but are still getting most of your fermentables from extract. This was a wonderful step on my journey to all-grain, because it allowed me to get a feel for mashing without stressing out about ruining my beer, since the worst-case scenario of totally bungling the mash and not extracting any fermentable sugars would still leave me with a decent extract beer where the grains only contribute flavor and body.

Also don't forget...

Once you pick your favorite method, argue on the internet for its vast superiority over the other "heathen" method.

Or, get a life, and find something that really matters to argue about :D

But, for the record, the right way is no-sparge BIAB :ban: :p

Brew on :mug:

Or, get a life, and find something that really matters to argue about :D

But, for the record, the right way is no-sparge BIAB :ban: :p

Heathen! Your efficiency sucks!

Everyone who brews 5 gallons or less and wants decent efficiency in a reasonable amount of time uses the coveted BATCH SPARGE method!

:p

Also don't forget...

Once you pick your favorite method, argue on the internet for its vast superiority over the other "heathen" method.

What do you use? Because whatever it is, I do the opposite which is better. Unless you fly sparge, which is my method. Then we would be in agreement, which completely contradicts this post. So you can fly sparge, and must do the inferior batch sparge. But I enjoy both, since Ive done both. So now I am confused. I need some beer. :tank:

What do you use? Because whatever it is, I do the opposite which is better. Unless you fly sparge, which is my method. Then we would be in agreement, which completely contradicts this post. So you can fly sparge, and must do the inferior batch sparge. But I enjoy both, since Ive done both. So now I am confused. I need some beer. :tank:

I batch sparge my second runnings using the fly sparge method. That, along with my special water chemistry is how I get 99% efficiency. It's all very obscure and I'm sure you've never heard about it.

I batch sparge my second runnings using the fly sparge method. That, along with my special water chemistry is how I get 99% efficiency. It's all very obscure and I'm sure you've never heard about it.

Only 99%?!?! If you just stuck to fly, you'd easily be @ 100%, maybe 105%.

Also don't forget...

No method is a "heathen" method but one is objectively easier. The easier method does come at a "theoretical" cost to efficiency though. Both methods can produce world class or garbage beer.

No method is a "heathen" method but one is objectively easier. The easier method does come at a "theoretical" cost to efficiency though. Both methods can produce world class or garbage beer.

Any well executed sparge, or no-sparge, method can beat a poorly executed method for efficiency, no matter what theory says.

Been batch sparging since I started all grain in..................... oh.............
let's see...................19...............19..........1990. Yep that's it. It's always
worked for me very well.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to brewing. I'm using a lot of the same gear,
except for hoses, I started with. Fly sparging just sounds like more
stuff to have and maintain.

All the Best,
D. White

Back