What's wrong with this bine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually found one on a different plant earlier today.
I just dug about 4" down around this bine and found no evidence of cut worms though.

The only thing I can think of is that this particular rhizome is different from my others because when I got it it was covered in shoots about 6" long, when I planted it, I buried all of it, shoots and all. When I dug down I found a bunch of dead shoots.
Maybe it picked up a disease or something?

It's been getting plenty of water, I took this right before watering.

Not one of my other 12 plants look like this.

Maybe it's a disease, since your others look fine. Downy mildew retards the Leaves like that sometimes.
Look at the node points, even the leafy part of the node is browned. Perhaps a nutrient deficiency? Is that your only droopy plant? It may be worth it to cut it down and let something healthy grow back in its place.

The bine has fallen over now and I'm going to cut it off, I'm just wondering if the whole rhizome is infected and if I should dig it up?
I planted 2 Rhizomes I the same spot so it's likely that the other 2 bines are from the other rhizome.

Autopsy complete!
I dug up the rhizome and had some interesting finds, from this one good looking rhizome with tons of shoots only one made it to the surface, the rest of them died and rotted.
I'm not sure how well you can see it in the picture but it seems that all the rot made its way into the main cutting and started rotting it also, you can see that the end with all the rotten shoots is darker, and it also felt way softer than the lighter colored end.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429747597.764706.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429747584.582216.jpg

If you look at the lighter colored end you can see a couple shoots coming out, so I cut off all of the parts that seemed rotten and replanted the healthy looking end.
We'll see if it produces, but it's not a big deal if it doesn't, there's already a rhizome that sprouted in that spot.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429747761.740201.jpg

Due to this I would venture to say that a rhizome with a bunch of eyes is better than one with a bunch of leafy shoots, I hope this helps anyone with the same issues.
If I remember I'll post whether or not the replanted section grows some bines.

Back