In Utah Should I plant yet??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swmalone

Reaction score
So for those of you in Utah, particularly along the Wasatch Front, should I plant the rhizomes yet? The weather has been so nice that I want to get them out. I am going to have them in whiskey barrels along the South side of my house. I have already attached support up to the top of my house so that they will be able to have a good amount of vertical space. I just don't want to put them out too early, but I also don't want to wait until late May like I have to do with a lot of my other garden plants.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I'm considering planting hops this year, too. Sorry I'm not sure when to plant either, but I was wondering if you got your rhizomes locally or ordered online?

Its better to plant earlier than later. They can survive at 20f no issues. I plan on tossing mine in the ground this weekend and Im in wyoming (read way colder). However, im no pro gardener but my ones I plated last year are sprouting up so Im going to say its time.

I orders my rhizomes online. They have been in the fridge for a few weeks.

The rule of thumb I use is once the "hard" freeze is over you can plant rhizomes once the top 6" of soil is defrosted. They can be kept in the fridge for quite a while waiting for the big defrost in the spring.

I'm in Reno and while we haven't had snow we HAVE had sub 30s probably nightly since January.

Rhizomes survive the winter normally, and if the frost nips the first shoots, more will follow. I personally wouldn't worry about it.

H.W.

It seems to only kill the freshly cut rhizomes. I had a tray freeze last year and they all went bad. No real idea why.

Thanks for all the info. I think I am going to plant them this weekend and hope for the best.

I just ordered two rhizomes which will arrive Wednesday. Should be planting Thurs or Fri.

The Wasatch Front often gets a small snow storm in April, even after it's been warming up. It's usually small and melted within 24 hours. Since rhizomes are buried so shallow, will this be a problem? I doubt we will see anything that could freeze the ground.

That looks great. I put my rhizomes in the pots this weekend when it was all nice and warm and of course now the weather goes to crap. I am actually a bit less concerned about the rhizomes and more concerned that I need to get inside my beehive to check on swarming conditions.

My hops were just poking their heads up looking for their shadow, when we got a foot of heavy wet snow for our traditional Easter snowstorm. Perhaps if they poke their heads up and get slapped with a wet snow a few years in a row, they'll learn to be content to wait another month ;-)

H.W.

I planted in the containers a couple of weeks ago, and then a couple days after the centennial sprouts up we get snow and freezing temperatures. It seems to be doing okay, still no activity from the Cascade.

Yeah, I just planted my rhizomes on the weekend and then 2 days later, several inches of snow hits the valley. The ground wasn't hard frozen so I hope they'll be OK. As of today all the snow covering them has melted.

Back