Inexpensive and Improvised, but Better Than Nothing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcownz747

Certified Cicerone, YPG vet
Reaction score
We all have them. Cheap workarounds for things we haven't yet invested in. "No I don't". Yes, you do, you liar. "But I'm rich". Oh, sorry.

Most of us are debating our next upgrade. For some of us it's a 10 gallon pot to get into all grain. For others it's an oxygenation stone, so that we can perfect that triple decoction Doppelbock. But the fact is, we all have something we want... and we all have some inexpensive way of working around our lack-of-that-thing for now.

I want to know what your workarounds are.

I'll start with some of mine:

1) The Poor Man's Beer Gun. Since I do mostly kegging, I haven't invested the money in a beer gun. I don't like bottling. It's messy, it's a pain, it's time consuming... and for the price of 4 cases of new bottles, I can get a new keg. But on the occasion that I do a brew (Beer, mead, or braggot) that I want to shelve for a couple of years in my cellar... I need a way of filling my bottle. For that, I use the poor man's bottle filler. It's not as ineffective as opening your Cornie into a bottle, and it's not as effective as using a beer gun... but it gets the job done. Using a rubber stopper and a racking cane, you can fill a bottle under pressure... kind of. Here's a video: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pWISuhSC7s[/ame]

2) BB Gun CO2 canisters. No, that's probably not the correct name. I only know that the kids around here use small CO2 canisters to fill their BB guns. Well... you know how oxygen is bad for beer/mead/wine which has finished fermentation? Well... when somebody is done with fermentation, but wants to check on their beer/wine/mead for a gravity/taste/acid test... it's pretty useful to displace any added air with inert (well, inert enough for yeast which has finished fermenting) gas. At the winery I work at, we have a separate container of CO2 with a CO2 spray gun attached. At home, I haven't invested in such a device yet. So, instead, I use an empty (sanitized) keg pressurized with CO2... and when my kegs are all full (as they usually are), I use a BB gun CO2 canister and a CO2 cracker to diaplace oxygen. It's better than nothing and WILL put you above those who won't do anything to replace oxygen after fermentation, but it's not something I would do when trying to win a national/international competition.

So let's hear it. What are YOUR workarounds? If you see one that you find useful already use, like that post. If you have a more effective workaround to a previously listed one, please share it.

Being cheap a sight glass on my kettles would be awesome. But some notches on my spoons and some dowel rods tell me what I need to know for pre boil volumes.

Post your build.

Dont have a smartphone or a camera. But basically this:

Find a free dishwasher, preferably one from the 80s with a big dial, and not all digital.
Cut through, and remove most of the top with a tool of choice.
Remove all BS, racks, etc.
Rip off the bottom spinny/spraying arm.
Shove the snuggest 12" or so piece of pvc in the bottom pipe where the spinny arm used to be.
Put a milk crate or similar on the base around the pvc pipe to keep the keep or carboy off the bottom.
Shove the return arm somewhere under a top lip where it will stay, and spray the waste water back down.
take the drain hose and causally toss it back in the top in case it accidentally goes to the drain cycle.
Place dishwasher on a piece of plywood with some shopping cart wheels or something to wheel it around.

Operation:
Roll out to driveway (it sprays some water around)
With a hose, fill with water, about 1" above the heating coil.
Add PBW.
Place carboy or keg over pvc pipe.
Use some spare plywood scraps to jig the carboy in place. so it stays upright.
Plug in and turn the knob until you find a section of the cycle that sprays the water aggressively into the carboy. The first one takes 10 min to get hot.
For kegs after the cleaning the main area, get another pvc pipe thats adapted to one of the disconnects clips on to the beer out line. Run it again to clean the dip tube.
When done, take the drain hose out and set to drain.

Theres alot of engineers on here that could make this far far better. But all I needed to purchase was the wheels, and a pinlock disconnect, and it makes the carboys shine.

Theres alot of engineers on here that could make this far far better. But all I needed to purchase was the wheels, and a pinlock disconnect, and it makes the carboys shine.

Makes sense if it's free. Otherwise check the Scrubmaster 3000 thread and improvise if you have a pump- with a plastic tote and about $10 in PVC (if you skip the ball valves) you could build something similar.

View attachment 273720View attachment 273721

So I was looking for an alternative to small mason jars for yeast. I liked baby soda bottles, like what white labs comes in but to pricey. I got 50 of these shipped for 13 dollars. They are 50ml centrifuge tubes. So far so good.

These look like exactly what I've been searching for. Would you happen to have a link to where you got them from?

Back