instead of a spa panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerRef

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-70-Am...I-and-50-Amp-Outlet-Top-Feed-U055GP/100187107

anyone used one of these for their setups in place of a spa panel? Im currently in the final stages of planning / the actual layout of my basement electric setup and came across it -- It seems better than a spa panel because it can be wired in and done / no need to then run more wire for outlets to plug a control panel into, includes 240V and 120V outlets...

Can anyone think of a reason to not go with one of these over a spa panel? Im sure if I priced it out the spa panel is a few $ cheaper, but it can;t be much after including receptacles for the wall, more wire to connect those to the spa panel, and this would have less work to remove when I move out as everything could easily be installed on the outside of the walls...

To me it looks like the gfci is only on the 120v outlet. Googled around a bit for a diagram. Let us know if the 240v outlet is gfci protected. ...

I do like that panel, but the 50a breakers are not GFCI and that is where the real expensive parts come in. Considering that the spa panel has GFCI breakers, its a no-brainer.

By the way, I was able to mount a 50a receptacle in my spa panel, but it took a lot of cutting and drilling to get it in. PITA, but it was worth it.

HD sells a 50 amp Eaton Spa Control for $56.xx with free shipping. You can't even get the bare breaker for that. No need to cut and hack to install the plug, just use a small outlet box on the side.

After the fact, I have to concur that adding an outlet box would have been much easier! Looking for a ray of sunshine, I can say that my unit is compact without an outlet box...big deal. For the rest of you, add the outlet box.

After the fact, I have to concur that adding an outlet box would have been much easier! Looking for a ray of sunshine, I can say that my unit is compact without an outlet box...big deal. For the rest of you, add the outlet box.

In case you wonder how I know, been there done that and got the cuts to prove it,

Back