Second year buds, should I cover them when it snows

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I've got some second year rhizomes that I noticed have popped above the ground last night!

I live in Colorado so I WILL get another snowstorm sometime soon here. Should i cover over them with a bucket or something when it snows, or if it's only for a few days they should be able to handle it?

Thanks!
Steve

No. They love snow. You should trim them all back, though. I cut down everything until may 1.

No. They love snow. You should trim them all back, though. I cut down everything until may 1.

hmm I haven't heard that before. Is the logic that it sends the energy back down to the roots for a bit, then they are ready to rocket out of the ground come may 1st?

Thanks for your help

Yep. The first shoots mostly grow too fast, they focus on growing and not producing. Plus I've noticed the older sos turn brown, while shoots that are younger stay green.

For instance, the shoots I started in mid April last year started to brown in July. However, unbeknownst to me, a couple shoots sprouted in mid may. I didn't even see these until august, but they stayed a nice bright green without browning.

Back