How to Brew by Palmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myerstyson

Reaction score
OK, I finally got this book that everyone is talking about. I thought it might be a waste, as I'm beyond the basics. Boy was I wrong.

This book is the PERFECT beginner and intermediate book. The step by step and the checklists...damn, I wish I had them when I started. The format of the book is also perfect. Very easy to read, and very easy to follow. The chapters on the basic ingredients of beer are a great read as well.

This is the book I will recommend for everyone beginning. I still love Papazian's book, but I like this one better.

Anyone else have opinions on this book?

I read it cover to cover when I started out. I agree, quite fantastic. I still reference it from time to time and I've brewed 65 batches.

My only complaint would be that some of the info is outdated or has been demonstrated to be a myth (e.g. hot side aeration). Publication date was 2006, and a fair amount has changed since then. Palmer continues to be on the forefront of the hobby, so I would assume he has enough info for another update.

I read through everything he had on www.howtobrew.com; is that pretty much the same thing as the book, or does the book have any extra information? I have been thinking about buying a hard copy just to pay for all of the valuable information I got from his website, it is definitely the most helpful source of information that I have read for this hobby.

I read through everything he had on www.howtobrew.com; is that pretty much the same thing as the book, or does the book have any extra information? I have been thinking about buying a hard copy just to pay for all of the valuable information I got from his website, it is definitely the most helpful source of information that I have read for this hobby.

The ebook is the earliest addition, while the published book is I think the Third Edition. I don't use mine much anymore, but I did reference it quite a bit when I first got it around 2007.

I would say the book should be a mandatory read to join this site. to many people pushing bad info. raise your hand if you thought copper is bad for you when used in wort? I've read it twice and have about 10 bookmarks in it.

I have noticed that little things are different / missing on the howtobrew.com site vs the actual book. Not that these missing / rearranged bits are grounds to NOT use the site. Howtobrew.com is my go-to reference for anything brewing related when at the computer.

The biggest missing item from the site is the appendix in the book about "Beer Color" - How it is determined, Lovibond / SRM scale, MCUs etc. He explained the different SRM formulas, how they different and that none of them are 100% accurate all the time. I enjoyed this section but it is not there on the site.

Only other real big thing I noticed was that the book has a section within the "Developing Your Own Recipes" (book) / "Just Try It" (website) section (apparently the same section, just a different name) and within this section is a section about "Sugars used in brewing" where he talks about the make ups of different sugars, how they impact flavor, and how they fit into calculations (% fermentability, extract PPG, Constituents, etc.) but this section is also "missing" from the site. MOST of the info is still there throughout the book (in the Mashing section, picking extracts section, etc.), but it was cool to see the % fermentability of different common sugars.

These two items are really just fluff when it comes to brewing knowledge anyways so I think anyone will be MORE than ok just reading the website. I have read How To Brew cover to cover at least twice and have used it as my bible reference when making my own brewing spreadsheets and I think it is unbeatable (both the book and the site). Prost to John Palmer!!

I have read the online version probably a half dozen times and still use it as a quick reference. However, I saw it in the book store a while back and figured that I probably owe Mr. Palmer $20 by now and picked up the third edition.

It is definitely worth the price, a LOT of info has been updated from the first version that would save newcomers to the hobby a lot of quesions (i.e., Hey! I read this online in HTB but the consensus on the thread is different...): yeast, secondary fermenters, IBU equations, mash pH... the list goes on. Seriously worth $20.

I always recomend that book for anyone that says they are interested in getting started with brewing.. such a good source of information.

I think this is currently the best book to read when starting to home brew. I received Papazian's book back in 1999 with my Ale Pail starter kit and read it cover to cover. Last year I bought both Papazian's 2014 updated Joy of Home Brewing along with How to Brew and have read them both. While Papzian's book is still good, and the update makes it relevant again, Palmer's book is definitely the king.

Back