Dry Hopping A Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbusch68

Reaction score
Greetings!! I would like to dry hop a Amber Ale, any suggestions as to what kind of hop to use?
Thanks for your help.

What did you use for your main hop additions?

It helps to know what kind of character you were going for: fruity, spicy, pine, floral, etc.

I love to dry hop my ambers with around 1-3oz of cascade. But the earlier post raises a very valid question about your other additions.
My top three dry hopping hops are Citra, Cascade, and Nelson Sauvin

My most recent Amber Ale was hopped with Citra and Simcoe and dry hopped with 2 oz each (12 gallon batch post-boil). All my friends enjoyed and was one of my better beers this past year.

American Hoppy Amber

First off this is my first post and you guys are great!!! I'll be using .75oz Glacier at the beginning of the boil, 1oz Glacier at 30 min, .75 Glacier at 10 min and 1.25 Cascade at the end of the boil.

I use equal parts Cascade and Willamette. You might continue to the theme by dry hopping with Cascade/Glacier. I don't look for a ton of layered hop complexity from my ambers, but that might be just me.

I've not really familiar with Glacier, but a Cascade dry-hop is pretty good in most cases. Centennial is another one that is hard to screw up.

Cascade and Amarillo are a nice combination too. Not as strong in the graprfruit aroma as Cascade and Citra, more into the orange/grapefruit aroma.

You would do fine using Glacier and Cascade, especially if you have some left over from your brew day. Glacier is a nice hop in ambers and it has some similarities with Willamette, another hop that works well in ambers.

Glacier is supposed to be like an English hop, more herbal and woody. But I pick up some nice citrus notes when I've used it. It would pair really well with cascade hops.

Latest posts

Back