Signs of bad batch? Urgent-ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just finished my 3rd ever batch of home brew

My first batch last year was amazingly tasty - second batch failed because i was experimenting with dry hopping with unusual ingredients

For this 3rd batch iv gone back to the original recipe

Im tasting it just now and its quite nice - a little stronger than the first batch (despite being 1.5%ABV weaker than the first batch)

Now this batch is acctually a GIFT for some friends who are celebrating an engagement this weekend (got them personalised bottle labels etc)

Because this is for other people (except a few i kept for myself) i dont wanna think im poisoning them lololol

So my question is (vaguely) are there any warning signs of a Bad Batch?

As i said im having a bottle now, and if im sick tomorrow i'll know why

Im pessimistic in nature, im probably fine - just wondering if there IS anything i should look out for

Ryan

You won't get sick (unless you drink them all in one sitting).

Post up the recipe and the temp at which you fermented... that will go a long way towards helping identify the problem.

If it tastes good then chances are its good. Especially if other people think it tastes good.

If it tastes bad, then chances are we need to look more closely at your process so we can all disagree on what it is you need to control. Im gonna go with better fermentation temp control.

If the yeast organize to spell words, you may have a bad batch.

If you dip a spoon in, and only half comes out, you may have a bad batch.

If you've mislabeled your crocodile bile as isinglass, you may ...

I always make bad batches.

When I drink about 12 strong homebrews it seems to make me want to go to the toilet more often :p

I've just finished my 3rd ever batch of home brew

My first batch last year was amazingly tasty - second batch failed because i was experimenting with dry hopping with unusual ingredients

For this 3rd batch iv gone back to the original recipe

Im tasting it just now and its quite nice - a little stronger than the first batch (despite being 1.5%ABV weaker than the first batch)

Now this batch is acctually a GIFT for some friends who are celebrating an engagement this weekend (got them personalised bottle labels etc)

Because this is for other people (except a few i kept for myself) i dont wanna think im poisoning them lololol

So my question is (vaguely) are there any warning signs of a Bad Batch?

As i said im having a bottle now, and if im sick tomorrow i'll know why

Im pessimistic in nature, im probably fine - just wondering if there IS anything i should look out for

Ryan

If it has alcohol in it then you are fine, nothing can make you sick, unless you added chemicals or other potential poisons.

If it has alcohol in it then you are fine, nothing can make you sick, unless you added chemicals or other potential poisons.

lol. ya beer wont get anyone sick, probably since beer was more favoured then water back in the day.

There are numerous articles on the subject. Short of deliberate contamination, there are no known pathogenic (i.e. make humans sick) organisms that can survive in beer. There are plenty of organisms (bacteria) that can make it taste really bad and/or make bottles explode but none that will make you sick. Remember, you have loads of bacteria in your mouth and stomach and yet they don't hurt you.

Back