Crispin Artisinal Reserve Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendon83

Reaction score
Greetings from snowbound Texas!

My father in law has been making wine for a couple years now, and suckered me into this hobby... I'm usually a beer and cider drinker, but enjoy wine as well. So far, I've made a Riesling and a Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel, both of which turned out amazing considering it was a first intro attempt to the world of homebrew, and now I'm hooked!

At the end of the holidays, I ended up with quite a bit (~2gal) of Martinelli's unfiltered cider left over from making stove-top hard cider, and decided to throw some Notty on top of it and see what happened. It turned out okay, but not quite what I was looking for as it seemed to lose too much body in the long run. This just got me more and more interested in trying to recreate one of my personal favorites, the Artisinal Reserve from Crispin.

crispin-honey-crisp-artisanal-reserve-natural-hard-cider-minnesota-usa-10466179.jpg
crispin-artisanal-reserve-the-saint-1.jpg

My most recent purchase was a complete cider kit from BrewDemon, not for the cider quality per-se but I like the smaller batch conical fermenter. Again, a 2 gallon batch of their plain jane Forbidden Fruit Hard Cider turned out, eh, meh if you know what I mean.

Currently I have 2 gallons of Trader Joe's Honeycrisp Cider brewing with White Labs WLP-775 English Cider Yeast, SG 1.052, hopefully yielding PA 6.8%. I'm planning on trying to make this as close to the yellow label Honeycrisp Crispin Artisinal Reserve as possible.

Have any of you attempted a clone of either of the Crispins that I have included with this post (Honeycrisp or The Saint)? I am wondering how to get that amazing texture and finish that both of these have and a very low level of sweetness. I understand that both of these are back sweetened, but the label states that there is no sorbate or preservatives, so stove top pasteurization must be in order here... recipes for a clone? Or something close?

Ideas or thoughts?

After having The Saint, I tried a batch of cider with WLP500 yeast and it's certainly a similar flavor, ignoring the sweetness difference. I usually add some cane sugar to my batches, substituting maple syrup would be an obvious step to get a closer flavor.

Excellent, thanks for the info... I have been messing with a few different yeasts: I don't like the results from S-04 or EC-118, and I was planning on trying the WLP-500 or the Wyeast 3787 HG if I decide to try a Apfelwein.

Any advice for the back sweetening process?

Greetings from snowbound Texas!

My father in law has been making wine for a couple years now, and suckered me into this hobby... I'm usually a beer and cider drinker, but enjoy wine as well. So far, I've made a Riesling and a Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel, both of which turned out amazing considering it was a first intro attempt to the world of homebrew, and now I'm hooked!

At the end of the holidays, I ended up with quite a bit (~2gal) of Martinelli's unfiltered cider left over from making stove-top hard cider, and decided to throw some Notty on top of it and see what happened. It turned out okay, but not quite what I was looking for as it seemed to lose too much body in the long run. This just got me more and more interested in trying to recreate one of my personal favorites, the Artisinal Reserve from Crispin.

crispin-honey-crisp-artisanal-reserve-natural-hard-cider-minnesota-usa-10466179.jpg
crispin-artisanal-reserve-the-saint-1.jpg

My most recent purchase was a complete cider kit from BrewDemon, not for the cider quality per-se but I like the smaller batch conical fermenter. Again, a 2 gallon batch of their plain jane Forbidden Fruit Hard Cider turned out, eh, meh if you know what I mean.

Currently I have 2 gallons of Trader Joe's Honeycrisp Cider brewing with White Labs WLP-775 English Cider Yeast, SG 1.052, hopefully yielding PA 6.8%. I'm planning on trying to make this as close to the yellow label Honeycrisp Crispin Artisinal Reserve as possible.

Have any of you attempted a clone of either of the Crispins that I have included with this post (Honeycrisp or The Saint)? I am wondering how to get that amazing texture and finish that both of these have and a very low level of sweetness. I understand that both of these are back sweetened, but the label states that there is no sorbate or preservatives, so stove top pasteurization must be in order here... recipes for a clone? Or something close?

Ideas or thoughts?

How did it come out? I am thinking of making a 5 gallon batch with Trader Joe's Honeycrisp Cider.

Back