Water and Mash pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickbrew

Reaction score
I am wondering if my tap water would have any impact on my mash. The most recent water profile I have found for my city is the following:

Calcium 9 ppm
Sulphate 4 ppm
Magnesium 0 ppm
Chloride 22 ppm
Sodium 14 ppm
Alkalinity 18 ppm
Bicarbonate 22 ppm
pH 6.8
Hardness 22 ppm
Fluoride 0 ppm

I know that an ideal pH for mash is closer to 5.2. I understand that the acidity of my malts will change the pH during mash, but I am wondering if I should go about getting RO or treated water instead of my tap water.

That water is close enough to RO that you shouldn't have a problem using it as-is. Just make sure that if your water has chlorine/chloramine (which it probably does), that you're either carbon filtering it or treating it with Campden tablets.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

Your water already just about fits the bill to follow that to the letter. Chloride is a LITTLE high for it, but I wouldn't worry about diluting to drop it 2 ppm personally.

That water is close enough to RO that you shouldn't have a problem using it as-is. Just make sure that if your water has chlorine/chloramine (which it probably does), that you're either carbon filtering it or treating it with Campden tablets.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

Your water already just about fits the bill to follow that to the letter. Chloride is a LITTLE high for it, but I wouldn't worry about diluting to drop it 2 ppm personally.

That is an excellent guide, thank you very much.

Great water, but it doesn't mean you can ignore any treatment. Visit the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water website to learn more about why you should treat your brewing water and how to do it.

To clarify, by as-is I mean not having to RO filter or dilute it. You're still going to need to add minerals or acid for most beers depending on the beer. But that's all explained in the primer I linked...

I am wondering if my tap water would have any impact on my mash. The most recent water profile I have found for my city is the following:

Calcium 9 ppm
Sulphate 4 ppm
Magnesium 0 ppm
Chloride 22 ppm
Sodium 14 ppm
Alkalinity 18 ppm
Bicarbonate 22 ppm
pH 6.8
Hardness 22 ppm
Fluoride 0 ppm

I know that an ideal pH for mash is closer to 5.2. I understand that the acidity of my malts will change the pH during mash, but I am wondering if I should go about getting RO or treated water instead of my tap water.

I hate you a little :) That's a great blank slate right out of the tap.

Latest posts

Back