What do you brew for friends that like the macrobrews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim311

Reaction score
I don't have the setup to lager but I'd like to brew something that the "un-initiated" might enjoy. Maybe something light in color and low in bitterness for summer drankin while mowing the lawn. What would you suggest?

Its then your responsibility to turn them into microbrew drinkers. My company line is that if I'm making beer, I'm making what I want. And if you don't like it, then don't drink it. Which means that they have to go out and buy their own. Everyone loves my beer :D

Cream ale or a blond ale?

I learned early on that it was much more fun for me to brew to my own tastes rather than to try and brew to guest's tastes, I just keep a case of shiner or something around for them. BUT if you think you have a shot of bringing a BMC drinker over from the dark side then I say go for it.

I only brew for people that actually like beer, i/e, me. If you don't like my beer, I'll happily lend you a ten spot to get your own.

+1 on most everything listed here. I've had great luck appeasing macro drinkers with Centennial Blonde, Cream of Three Crops, Kolsch, and American Wheat Ale. Also, if they like dark beer, a nice oatmeal stout will be very approachable for them.

Well of course we all like brewing good beer for US but lets assume we want to brew a crowd pleaser for a party, or to keg something up to take to the sandbar and get chicks to take off their clothes.

I made a super simple pale ale with a little bit of nugget from the garden and crystal 20. Kegged it. Took it to New Years Ever party full of such friends, they didn't move from the keg until it was gone. Huge hit. It was a nice balance of bitter and sweet.

Gotta agree with an earlier post; brew what you like, and people are going to enjoy a most of it. Or get some new friends! I literally don't have any friends that drink Macros..... That said, do a SMASH and ferment in the mid 60s to keep esters down if you must please these dullards you call friends, haha.

I was going to toss in an idea about what ya might brew for your buds that like the "macrobrews" but what's the point.

Brew what YOU like. :mug:

Keep some bottled water in the fridge.

Him: "Hey man, your beer tastes too strong, don't you have any Coors Lite or anything?"

You: "There's some bottled water in the fridge."

Him: "Yah, I know, I saw that, but I was hoping for something that tastes like Coors Lite."

You: "You want me to piss in it for you?"

I agree with brew what you like, but also have a safety brew like a Blonde or Cream Ale. The conversation progresses from: "I'm glad you like that, and you might give this a try..." as you explain recipe and process. Hooks them often to different flavors. Getting the beer flavor conversation works. Many don't know beer has many flavors and will open their minds if properly presented.

Hey guys... he want's to make stuff for his friends. More power to you. If that's what they like then that's what they like. Some people prefer it. Like coffee... some people can palate Folders, some hit Starbucks.
I concur with the crew about Centennial Blond and Cream of 3 Crops. Both are good choices. A low gravity saison may also work well. Hersbrucker and Sazz are usually good choices as these are the predominant hops used in macros.

I do a party every year. Most people are BMC drinkers. I've had good luck with Blonde Ales, Hefenweizens, English/Australian milds, and Kentucky Commons. They all seemed pretty popular. The Hefe is always the biggest hit - go figure. People like the banana flavors.

I'm going to try a Saison this year as well.

I'm pretty sure that most everyone here is in the same boat that I'm in: the only time I have friends is when I break out the homebrew! ..... and ...... I'd never lend someone a ten-spot to go to the supermarket and buy something that's bad for them :tank: :ban:

Back