First 2 batches!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gsusbrew

Reaction score
Hey Guys I am brewing (?) ....... my first 2 batches of wine this weekend. I cant find any good resources online to figure the step by step instructions.
I am home brewer with many all grain batches under my belt but this is my first crack at the ol vino...

So here is what I have so far..
I am getting the Juices (20l each of Chardonay and Cab Sauv) from a little Italian grocer near my house.

Steps
1. Kill off wild yeast - with 5 crushed camden tabs dissolved in water , let sit in juice for 24 hours
2. Pitch yeast - Pitch the yeast ( i may add some oakchips here and in secondary) and let site at 72 F for 4 or 5 days
3. Transfer to secondary (glass carboy) and release trapped c02 by stirring.
4. after 2 weeks transfer again into glass carboy and let age for 3 months,
5. release trapped c02 and bottle
6. Let it sit for 700 years or so in the bottle on its side

i will be taking gravity readings throughout to make sure it is drying out as much as possible.
Will i have to give it another dose of camden tabs before bottling?

If someone could let me know if I have the jist of it here that would be great!

These would be my recommendations:

Steps
1. Kill off wild yeast - with 5 crushed camden tabs dissolved in water , let sit in juice for 24 hours
Take a Starting Gravity reading with a hydrometer and write it down, this is very important
2. Pitch yeast - Pitch the yeast ( i may add some oakchips here and in secondary) and let site at 72 F for 4 or 5 days
Make sure that you hydrate the yeast, this will give you a healthier colony of yeast, and add oak chips to the primary (only the red wine), the yeast will metabolize the oak much like if it were barrel aged
3. Transfer to secondary (glass carboy) and release trapped c02 by stirring.
Transfer to carboy only when fermented to dry, .090 is preferred, stabilize with meta at this point
4. after 2 weeks transfer again into glass carboy and let age for 3 months,
I wouldn't transfer again for a few months, too much racking can lead to oxidation
5. release trapped c02 and bottle
Time/bulk aging will take care of trapped co2
6. Let it sit for 700 years or so in the bottle on its side

Let the white wine age 6 months, the red at least 1 year

Obviously it would be beneficial to test the wine prior to fermentation for PH, TA and SO2 and adjust the wine before you pitch the yeast, also Malolactic fermentation on the cab would do it a major justice.
I hope that this helps.

pumpkinman2012 is there a reason to leave in primary so long? I thought after 5-7 days when the must settles down it should be transferred to secondary. I'm a newbie so forgive my lack of knowledge.

Browning348,
Never worry about asking any question, I am glad to help! Remember, we all started as newbies, I still have a few friends and Professional winemakers that I ask questions when I'm stumped.
If you rack to the carboy before it has fermented to dry, you run the risk of a stalled fermentation and/or stressed yeast. There is really no reason to rack before it has finished fermenting unless you run into issues.
There isn't a set amount of days for fermentation, Kit wine instructions usually have you rack after a set amount of days, but this doesn't apply to non kit wines, sometimes it can take 2 weeks to complete fermentation, the only way to be certain is with a hydrometer, temperature and yeast health play a big part in it.
Make sure that you keep some Fermaid K on hand, yeast nutrients are an essential part of a healthy fermentation and Fermaid K or Fermaid O are some of the best available.
Have you thought about which yeasts you will use? Yeast can bring out very nice characteristics in your wine, I'd be happy to make recommendations.

I've already done a few small batches from welches concentrate that turned out nice, nothing fancy but had a good taste. I did a strawberry/banana/grape a few weeks ago and it's coming along. When using fruit instead of a kit, is it best to pull the left over fruit after a week or so and leave the must until it ferments dry? Or leave the fruit for the length of the ferment? I have a hydrometer that I use and have started using fermax nutrient. I use Lalvin ec1118 or kv1116 yeast. Any suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks!

All this info is amazing!

A few follow up questions...

What yeasts are best for a cab sauv, chardonnay and Riesling?
What does stabilize with meta mean?

Just to be clear only transfer once and bulk age form there? do not transfer again until bottling?

Also should i bulk age for 3 months? shorter or longer ?

Let me know!
i know all of this is to personal taste preference . BUt i am looking for as dry as possible and as much falvour as i possibly can get.

thanks for all the help so far!
I am looking forward to tmrw.

As far as yeast, For chardonnay, I like QA23, For Cab Sav, a traditional Bordeaux yeast works great, BDX will make a traditional yeast, however, RP15 with render a nice fruity, fruit forward wine.
I rack after fermented dry, then again after a few months when the lees/sediment has dropped, and again at 6 or 9 months for reds.
I usually age my Whites 6 months before bottling, and at least a year for reds before bottling; aging will help a wine more than a lot of new wine makers know.
The biggest hurdle in wine making is patience.
Stabilizing with meta means to add meta to the wine after fermenting to dry and racking and again after several months, (I wouldn't go more than 3 months without testing and stabilizing) It slows down the aging, and oxidation of wine..

Patience is tough. I've started several batches; some to age and some to drink young. I may try some new yeasts now that I've got some info on which are best with which wines. The manufacturer makes such broad use of what their yeast will cover.

Latest posts

Back