Goodbye to a friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe_four_strings

Reaction score
So, last night I had to make that dreadful decision of ending the suffering of my friend, Mr. Kitty. He was only 1.5 years old and the most loving and thankful cat I've ever met. I found him abandoned in the street across the street from my house last year, tiny, hungry and afraid. He took to my dog like a brother and they would chase each other playing for hours. We are really going to miss him...

I have to add, I think it's messed up that you bust your bottom working, and in the end, you don't have enough money to save your pet's life. My last 100$ went to "humanely putting him down" and it wasn't enough to cremate him, so I had to take him home, borrow a shovel, and bury him in my back yard. :( Heartbroken...

20141123_133040.jpg

I'm sorry for your loss, I really wouldn't know what I would do if my cats Han Solo and Princess Leia would have to be put down. Mr. Kitty is a fantastic name for a cat too :(

Aw! He looks just our old cat, Little Kitty (Little Kitty was named in comparison to the older and larger other cat we had, Mama Kitty.)

Little Kitty was a GREAT mouser! She would hang out across the road where they never mowed and hunt mice all day. She would sometimes lay on the warm asphalt IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR STREET!

At about 14 years of age she was found clinging to life in her baby cradle with the electric heat pad. It was during the Chinese Pet Food crisis, and while I can't blame the Chinese pet food companies, I can't help but believe there was more than coincidence, judging by her recent apparent good health.

At any rate, she didn't make it to the vet and I buried her in the backyard myself. At 14 years old, she had a good life and plenty of it.

One time I had trapped a mouse by the leg or tail and wanting a bit of sport, I carried the mouse to the end of our driveway and called Little Kitty over. I let the mouse go and Little Kitty and I watched it run right back into the garage.

I was like, "What the HELL, cat??" And she looked at me as if to say, "Did you see how fast that thing could run!?"

We've had cats after that, but that one was special.

We had to bury our cat this week, too. Nala died in August, and her twin brother Symba died friday morning in my wife's arms. They are buried on opposite sides of the rose bush in the back yard. They were 17 years old, so they were certainly family.

I know your pain, and you have my sympathies.

So sorry to hear about your loss. When we had to put our dog down 2 1/2 years ago, it was one of the most difficult things we've been through. It came so quickly, we barely had time to say goodbye. Strange that pets can weave their way into our lives with such strength.

I do find it terrible that we can humanely euthanize pets, but can't do the same for people. Its such a blessing to be able to at least give pets that. And yet we can't do the same for friends and family who are near the very end.

Sorry for your loss. When you bring a pet into your home, you are essentially going in knowing that at some point, you are going to have a broken heart but the ride until then is more than worth it.

We had to put one of our cats to sleep about 6 months ago and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. He had a blockage in the artery that goes down their back to their lower body. It got stuck where the artery splits and goes down each leg so he wasn't get much circulation to his legs. The surgeon said there wasn't much they could do to remove it but they could give him blood thinners to help improve the circulation and the clot would go away on its own over time. Unfortunately, when there is a lack of circulation for that long, tissue gets damaged irreparably and normal function may never return. The vet said the chances of it happening again in the next 6 months would be really high and even if we went through all the treatments, he may never walk again and could have issues with going to the bathroom, etc. They gave him a sedative while my wife and I talked it over. We ultimately decided that if we went through the treatments, his quality of life would be significantly worse and we'd be back at the doc soon with the same problem. So we had the vet give him the shots to put him to sleep. I cried like a baby and still get teary-eyed when I think of him. We treat our cats basically like our children, sometimes better :). When we got home and told our kids about it, that was almost as bad. My 7 yr-old daughter and I just hugged and cried for a long time.

Condolences. I had to put my dog down about 3 years ago. I still think about it all the time.

He had a tumor in his brain. We knew it was terminal. We had him on medication that prolonged his life about 6 months. He got so bad towards the end, that I don't think I would do that again. I'd rather have put him down earlier and remember him when he was healthy. I think he'd probably have preferred it that way too.

We have a new dog, but it's never the same.

Back