Electric AND direct fired BIAB kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberwollf

Reaction score
Redoing my system and considering an eBIAB that also has the option for direct propane fire. This would give me the convenience of 240v brewing at home and the portability of propane (club brewouts, etc)

Thinking about using the 2 inch TC element adapter from brewers hardware and just replacing the element with a TC end cap if I want to direct fire.

Thoughts or links to other "dual fuel" builds?

Anyone with success direct firing a kettle with an element installed using only a heat sheild for protection?

While the tri-clover is the nicest option, I would think a simple heat shield would protect the element housing and cord for the occasional propane batch. Aluminum sheet flashing, or a cut beer can at burner level placed under the kettle and extending out in the direction or the element housing, and perhaps also triple wrapping the element housing and cord in aluminum foil would be fine IMO. Lots of folks use a simple heat shield to protect the vinyl valve handle with success, I don't see an element housing being much different.

Redoing my system and considering an eBIAB that also has the option for direct propane fire. This would give me the convenience of 240v brewing at home and the portability of propane (club brewouts, etc)

Thinking about using the 2 inch TC element adapter from brewers hardware and just replacing the element with a TC end cap if I want to direct fire.

Thoughts or links to other "dual fuel" builds?

Anyone with success direct firing a kettle with an element installed using only a heat sheild for protection?

I am looking for the kind same solution. One kettle to either e-brew inside or cap off and brew outside. The Tri-clover solution makes sense, disengaging the electrical components entirely makes life easy. Sub'd....

Ordered the tri clamp fittings today.

probably about a week until I get it all welded up

You won't be sorry. Even a short element pigtail can be a PITA and get in the way of things. If you're not using it, put it on the shelf.

I have a kettle set this way. Use it with propane for boil or the element for HLT (Only have 120V available right now with GFCI). Once i get the 240V situation resolved I can use it for eboil too.

Ive direct fired it many times with a silver soldered Tri-Clamp adapter from Bobby at BrewHardware. Works great.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/tc15rsf.htm

Back