Help Sizing Pipe for Cleanable CFC for my build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a 50' Stainless Immersion chiller that I was planning to use for a 10g 3 vessel electric setup.. SWMBO put the halt on that. Instead I built a 6gallon batch BIAB 120v Setup to make beer.

The problem is that my chiller stands too tall and half of it isnt even in the wort when I cool (due to element height and my steam shelf element protector).. leading to not cool wort.

I decided I am going to build a cleanable CFC using 3/4" or 1" PVC for the outside and 1/2" or 3/8" Copper rigid tubing for the inside.

If I buy 2x10' sticks of copper and cut it into 8x2.5' pieces will that be enough to reasonably cool ~5.5 gallons of finished wort?.

I want to go from the kettle gravity fed through the chiller and into my carboy. I will want to put a ball valve and thermometer on the wort out end so I can throttle and monitor temperatures.

In theory I could recirc since i have a 12v China Hot water pump.. but I dont think it has enough balls to do the actual work.

This post (the whole thread, actually) may be of interest to you. Your water temp will be very important with that short of a run. I have the parts to make a coiled CFC and am debating between 35 and 40 feet for mine.

Good Luck,
Cody

I've read that article which is why I'm considering this type.. But I want single pass chilling and I'd like to be at leas 3/4 gallon per minute of chilled wort

I plugged the numbers into a spreadsheet and if I got it right it will take about 10 minutes with 8 pipes. I used the u value in the BYO example so its only approximate.

I've built this chiller with 12' of 1/2" pipe and it will not even come close to dropping boiling wort to pitching temps in a single pass with 40-50F water.

I just built mine using the byo article as reference. I used 20 feet of 1/2 in. copper tubing. Haven't gotten around to testing it yet, but I'll be sure to check back once I have.

I will probably just do a traditional garden hose CFC.. 20ft with a bare wire wrapped around my copper before i insert it.. i hear that works well too.

Back